Author Topic: Really need some non bread non cereal, good fat breakfast ideas!  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
I'm sick to the back teeth of my children asking for food every 30 seconds, and although I'm certain they're not starving I think I could improve breakfast a lot as currently it involves cereal and toast mostly, probably too high carb and sugar, not enough good fats.
I did make some healthy muffins but they didn't like the lumpy bits of fruit, so I will be making more with the fruit whizzed up first. Oh and I plan on buying a mini muffin tin as I think dd2 will only consider the smaller ones.
Dd2 adores bacon but dd1 does not, neither will knowingly eat eggs ::)
We use olive oil (really decent stuff direct from Cyprus) so I'm always happy to use that in stuff! Both are fine with nuts, neither are allergic to anything but dd2 is really fussy and will take some convincing to try new foods.

Any ideas for me?
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
Re: Really need some non bread non cereal, good fat breakfast ideas!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:26 am »
Tagging along....

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:39:11 am »
I'm trying to think but can only think of pancakes but not sure how filling they are! Plus they are so nice with syrup!!

Hash browns are popular here, Charlotte will eat cheesy scrambled egg but not plain, especially with a ketchup smiley face on it. Do the girls like sausages? C loves those and MIL makes her bacon (well cooked Parma ham! :o ) and sausages at least one morning a week.

*Nicola*

Offline Roseii

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:52:13 am »
Good point-they love hash browns. Tbh tho they've only ever had then from mac Donald's or shop bought :P And I'm guessing they're salty and not exactly healthy :-\ Wonder if I can make some ???
They do love sausages, and Marks do some lovely 97% pork ones, usually that we have with mash at tea time but I could def do some cold for brek..
Thanks N and welcome Jazz :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:09:29 am »
Porridge or eggs are great starts to the day. Both are filling.

For me I would avoid anything I would give for lunch/dinner ie sausages or potato that is one less meal I can give and we are already so limited, prob different for families that can eat anything! KWIM?

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:51:20 am »
Following along too - we need more ideas!

We currently do porridge with mashed up banana and a bit of coconut oil to add fats, or eggy bread (soak a piece of bread in some whisked egg and fry it in coconut oil) served with some fruit or on it's own.  Sometimes we have muesli from sainsburys which is sugar free, and has lots of nut in it.  I crush the nuts before serving to make it safe for dd/palatable for ds!

Claire x

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:21:29 pm »
would she eat egg muffins char?  i finely chop mushrooms, red onion and bacon and fry them for a few minutes. in a large bowl i crack about 6 eggs and mix them up with a fork, add the frying pan mixture, and a handful of grated cheese. pour into muffin or mini muffin tins and bake them - about 180 for 10ish minutes.  just wonder if she would know it was eggs if presented in a different way ? and they can go in the fridge and have them cold the next morning.

we do a lot of muesli and yogurt here as well. i put the muesli in a bowl the night before and add a bit of water or milk and leave it in the fridge overnight so it is soft in the morning. then just stir it into yogurt in the morning.

Offline Roseii

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:30:43 pm »
I WISH they would eat porridge ::) Even dd1 who is not fussy won't eat it ::) But I might be able to convince her to eat muesli, thanks Clare for the tip, I get my shopping from Sainsburys already so that's handy.
I might try them on eggy bread, and Mashi yes I think they would eat egg muffins, they just won't eat the likes of scrambled yk? And dd1 has tried them recently and still didn't like them. I would eat eggs every day tho I love them! Thnks for that recipe it sounds perfect.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »
What's best about it is that you can make them however you want them - change to ham, leave out the onions or add grated carrot instead of mushrooms, etc.  We like them with bacon, red onion and mushroom best though! Any cheese - gouda, edam, mozzarella, cheddar, etc.  Just super easy to bung together however you want them!

For french toast (eggy bread), I add a few tablespoons of orange juice into the egg instead of milk, and a few dashes of cinnamon.  It's really nice -- and a bit sweeter already so less syrup needed on it!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 13:14:31 pm »
Dh made some really yummy gluten free pancakes a few weeks ago using almond flour. Let me know if you want the recipe. We do lots of eggs, bacon, sausage etc.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 13:36:12 pm »
As often as I can manage it we'll just have some supper leftovers for breakfast.

I did come across this pancake recipe: http://theskinnyconfidential.com/2012/09/25/ummm-seriously-dying-ingredient-pancakes-flourless-full-protein/   Nothing but egg and banana!

Avocadoes, smoothies, yogurt (sweet or savory, like with cucumbers in it), yogurt smoothies LOL, one of my girls would eat tinned fish all day if I let her. Sausage or any other meat.  How about meatballs? You can make them up the night before and if you have a slow cooker let them cook overnight?

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 13:54:09 pm »
What about spanish tortilla?  Can eat with bread.  Chinese would actually stuffed sticky rice parcels (with chicken, pork inside), dimsum (as in the little things you get for yumcha), or a pasta in broth with ham and then eggs and sausage with toasts for breakfast.  :p. we are crazy people :p

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 14:15:33 pm »
I would try to doctor the oatmeal....I put applesauce and cinnamon in ours....and dd loves to add the applesauce herself.  She likes to toss a few raisins in there too.  :)    French toast (eggy bread) is great,,,esp if you cut it in shapes, soldiers, circles (use a glass) or use a cookie cutter.  I always found at that age that presentation was everything! Dipping into syrup is so much more fun that me putting it on for her!

I have a really simple, wholesome and hearty banana muffin recipe....a few mini muffins and a yogurt is one of dd's fave breakfasts.

For the constant asking for food....at around age 3.5 I put a tray in the fridge for dd full of stuff she could help herself to, any time she wanted. Carrrot sticks, celery, yogurt, grapes, hard boiled egg, oranges, etc.   She loved getting things herself, and she loved that the tray was "just for her."  I didn't like telling her she couldn't possibly be hungry, but I knew she wasn't, if it was like 20 minutes after breakfast or lunch!  So supplying the tray removed me from the equation, and she loved serving herself.  :)   

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 15:03:00 pm »
Do you have frozen loose hash browns in the UK?  You could add those to the muffins Mashi mentioned or do potato pancakes and add some egg, veggies, sausage, etc.  I sometimes do an open faced sandwich with toast, bacon, avocado, and tomato.  It's very tasty!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 16:51:39 pm »
Adding a protein to the carbs can make it more filling and help to feel fuller longer along with slowing the release of blood sugars.  Would they go for cheese on toast or beans on toast?  Or something like that?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 19:20:23 pm »
I WISH they would eat porridge  Even dd1 who is not fussy won't eat it

What about if they mixed things in? Maple syrup, apple puree? Maybe put bowls of chopped fruits/ berries on table and let them mix them in?

Offline Mashi

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 19:36:34 pm »
I wish I would eat porridge too Charli, but I hate the stuff. You can flavour it all you want but it's still wallpaper paste! :P

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 19:43:54 pm »
Oh me too Mashi.  :P

Offline C&B&E

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 20:14:19 pm »
I think so much depends on how it is made!  When my DH makes it I actually gag if I try to eat it as it is so grim :P, but the way I make it is lovely  8) and the kids wolf it down!!  Key for me is using jumbo oats as it doesn't end up being so 'pastey'.  I add plenty of milk (I actually find it is nicer with rice or oat milk), then bring it up to the boil for a minute, then turn it down for about 4 minutes.  Add more milk so it is not too stodgy.  Then add mashed up ripe banana, swirl of honey over the top....yum. 
Claire x

Offline Mashi

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 20:37:38 pm »
OK Claire, I would at least try it! LOL!  Yes, thicker cut oats I think are important, nothing makes me gag more than Ready Brek!!

Charli will they eat cheese on toast?  With a thick wholegrain bread it is nice and has a good fat and protein content to balance out the carbs!  Or Welsh Rarebit, sneaking some egg in there without your DD knowing  ;)

Offline C&B&E

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 20:43:52 pm »
nothing makes me gag more than Ready Brek!!

*shudders* yes, horrible stuff! 
Claire x

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 21:25:20 pm »
I love readybrek! Can't stomach the stuff warm though - I have to make it with cold milk. It's the only way either LO will eat it too.

The banana and egg pancakes are a hit here with Abi - for ages it was the only way she'd eat egg. Very quick and simple.

Mashi those mini muffins sound good. I got really good at making muffins etc but have badly got out of the habit.

We're in a cereal rut here too, although DS will eat muesli because his dad does, and DD will steal all the raisins out of it!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 21:26:26 pm »
so... do you want oats to be involved? or no oats... I have some ideas with oats...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Roseii

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 22:26:46 pm »
Thanks ladies!
Em-are they crepe type pancakes or scotch/American style? I cannot stomach the thin crepes at all, even the smell makes me wretch  :-X If they're the thick ones then yes please to the recipe  ;D
Deb-I'd love it if I could serve leftovers (and dh would be happy lol!) but ATM there's no way they would eat it, they baulk if I try and give them pasta at lunchtime cos it's a tea time food :P If dd2 doesn't get a sandwich at lunch she asks where her lunch is  :P Fab easy pancake recipe, thank you.
Koe lol you're not crazy! But might need to ease my kids into that kind of brek  :)
Anne that's a great idea about cookie cutters, I think they would be thrilled with that. What's the banana muffin recipe? Re the food tray, I could try that but I swear dd2 would have it cleared out before lunch :P She's not after unhealthy foods by any means, often it's a chunk of cucumber or an apple, it's just the frequency that gets me. Maybe I should show her her snack allowance for the whole day  :-\
CCCmom yes we do get those frozen loose hash browns, I think I'll check the salt content and maybe try your idea, thanks :)
Amanda, yes and yes for cheese or beans or toast for dd1, dd2 no :(
Ok porridge wise we do just have ready brek (sainsburys own brand) maybe I need to try them on bigger oats, and mixing stuff in is a good ideA.
Katy I'm open to suggestions! Thank you :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 23:07:17 pm »
I make these ALL the time- http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal I mainly make them for me but i'm sure hamish would like it too! They are super easy and have the good fats with the chia seeds in them.

Also this website: http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/ I've pinned the recipe i've made most- but there are HEAPS of ideas that are low or no sugar and high in all the good stuff!! She uses no sugar, may add a bit of honey or stevia...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline deb

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 23:39:15 pm »
The leftovers for breakfast didn't happen overnight. One day that's all there was, take it or leave it - I think I was sick for a couple days running and we were out of cereal - so they sucked it up and eventually ate it. (OK, when I read it the way I just wrote it, it does look like it WAS overnight! :D))

Yeah, they whined about it - but then they liked it AND they weren't starving an hour later either. So now it's not that big a deal. Hubby still won't touch fish before lunchtime, but the kids will. So :P :P :P to DH! LOL

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 23:45:28 pm »
For oatmeal, I buy Earths Best Organic...Maple & Brown Sugar...lots of fiber, not too much sugar and dd has eaten it since she was a baby.  Definitely read the labels of some "just add boiling water" types....some of them are really wholesome and good. I don't eat oatmeal, it grosses me out, but my Dad tried dd's and was like "What is this, it's amazing!" 

Banana Muffins:

1 Egg
3 tbs. canola oil (not sure why canola....I didn't have any and used vegetable oil, it was fine)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1 cup sugar (or less if you want)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour (we use King Arthur Organic)
2 tsp. cinnamon

optional:
1 or 2 tsp wheat germ (smash it into powder inside a baggie)

Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg. Add oil and vanilla.  Add bananas and beat well. Add sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix. Add flour and mix again.
 Add to lined cupcake pan and bake for 20 mins.  I check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into middle. If toothpick isn't all gummy with wet batter....we're done! 
 If using mini-muffins...I might try 15 mins and check.     
 This recipe makes about 12 good sized muffins...(fill cups between 1/2 and 2/3 full)  You can add mini chocolate chips to the batter if you want! 
  The best part is I freeze them, too. I leave 3 or 4 out, but wrap the others individually in saran wrap and pop them in the freezer. They defrost in no time right on the kitchen counter and we have a quick wholesome breakfast when we have a muffin and some yogurt!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 03:54:52 am »
Anne, those muffins sound so good!

Charli, I think Deb mentioned smoothies, but I'll just second it.  You can make them with full fat yogurt and throw all sorts of things in there -- we often put greens (spinach, kale, chard) in ours along with juice and fruit (you can even add a touch of honey) and James drinks it all up happily.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 05:41:19 am »
Tagging along as well... DD has outright refused her beloved baby cereal for 3 days now.. momma is gonna have to get into the kitchen!

We are in a rut with all meals here..

Love some of the ideas here!!!  I will make the egg/banana pancakes tomorrow and see how she goes!

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 13:53:38 pm »
Oh and a simple way to add extra nutrition to pancakes.....we throw is a few teaspoons of ground flaxseed powder! A bit of extra fiber and protein....doesn't alter the taste.  We have them every Sunday with bananas AND blueberries!!!   :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 13:56:59 pm »
We do smoothies every morning as well (though it is hit or miss with the boys).

Yesterday DH went out and bought a waffle maker, and today made waffles with ground almonds and coconut, and coconut mik (no wheat).  They are flipping amazing and the kids love them!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 14:38:41 pm »
Those waffles sound amazing. My ds is allergic to tree nuts though so no good for him.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline deb

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 17:52:54 pm »
How about this recipe with sunflower butter instead of nut butter?
http://deliciouslyorganic.net/pancake-and-waffle-gluten-free-grain-free-recipe/

I can't do almonds either, but I'm pretty sure coconut doesn't count as a tree nut the same as, say, almonds or walnuts. Ask a doctor if you're not sure.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 18:45:55 pm »
Coconut isn't a true tree nut but some are allergic to it as well...

The egg/banana pancake was a good choice today!  DD happily dipped away and loved it!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 19:32:39 pm »
Charli - shame about DD2.  DD is the same with beans.  Won't touch them with a 10' pole, whereas DS love them.

Umm....what about hummus or would that be a lunchtime food? ;) ;D
*** Amanda ***

Offline C&B&E

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 20:09:45 pm »
Smoked mackerel is nice too-salty though but fine every so often

Or bagels with scrambled egg and smoked salmon. Or with cream cheese if they don't like egg.
Claire x