Author Topic: 5mo old refusing bottle and eating less oz per day  (Read 1798 times)

Offline jahollis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5mo old refusing bottle and eating less oz per day
« on: January 28, 2013, 00:16:22 am »
My LO just turned 5 months, she has been on a four hr feeding schedule for almost a month and was eating 7-8.5 oz per feed, and taking 4 bottles plus df which was only 3-4 oz. but suddenly she was refusing the bottle and when she does take it, she rarely eats more than 5.5 oz. but I have to use a syringe for maybe half an oz then she will finally accept the bottle. If this didn't work, I would give her her soother and then quickly switch to the bottle.

Once she is eating, she is fine, but she really fights me getting the bottle into her mouth. She has done this for every feed now for a week. Her df has increased to 4-5 oz so her total intake is around 25 oz but at 17 lbs, I wonder if this is enough esp since she is waking more in the night when before she would sleep through to 7. I have not been adding a night feed more because she won't take it. She makes it to 530 or 630 and then I can tell she is hungry.

I just started solids today so this issue started before I introduced solids.

So I guess my question is, could this just be a phase? I think she is too young to drop a bottle, and are there any tricks to getting her to take more oz? She refuses to take the bottle again once she needs to burp.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 5mo old refusing bottle and eating less oz per day
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:16 am »
My first thought: teething.

Offline jahollis

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 14:01:21 pm »
It could be, it's crossed my mind. But the teething gel doesn't help al though sometimes she eats better after a cold teething toy. I just didn't think she would eat so well once latched if she was teething. I read through the sticky last night about LO's not eating well between 4 and 5 mo and that helped a lot too. Good to know its a common battle! :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:10:17 am »
Very common!  My DD was generally fine once she did start to eat as well, getting her to start was a battle and she would scream once she let go at the end as well... I suspect the pressure of sucking was somewhat soothing, but letting go would cause the pain to shoot back again.

Which teething gel are you using?

Offline jahollis

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 16:46:30 pm »
I can't find the teething gel container lol, I bought it for my first LO and can't remember what it is. What do you recommend in case I come across this issue again? She is finally drinking 6-8 oz per feed again so I am so happy!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 23:31:17 pm »
I can't find the teething gel container lol, I bought it for my first LO and can't remember what it is.

Probably a good thing as it does expire ;)

Is it a herbal or medical version?  I use Anbesol (in  Canada)... similar to Orajel.. it contains benzocaine.