Author Topic: 8month old with sweet tooth  (Read 1741 times)

Offline AliR

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8month old with sweet tooth
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:25:19 am »
My 8 month old DD has been on solids since she was 5.5 months.  She has a mixture of purees, mashed things and finger food.  My concern is that she seems to have a very sweet tooth.  She'll get about 3 mouthfuls into the savoury dish and then refuse.  The only way I can get her to eat it is if I mix it with yogurt!  She eats casserole and yogurt, pie and yogurt, bolognaise and yogurt!  she'll happily eat savoury finger food like carrots, broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes etc.

I think I'm setting myself up for a fall allowing her to have sweet stuff, but I don't know how t get her to eat enough if I don't.  Any advice? ???

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 8month old with sweet tooth
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:37:32 am »
Mix it with plain natural yoghurt? Maybe she likes the creamy mouth feel. Or, just skip spoon feeding and let her eat savoury finger foods.

Offline AliR

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 14:14:48 pm »
That's a good idea. She was happy with cauliflower cheese last week so it might be the creaminess.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try. 

Offline AliR

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 19:38:55 pm »
Just a little update for completeness of the post.  My DD is now 13 months old and she's very happily eating most things (it seems the stronger flavour the better e.g. curry, fahitas etc!).  I persevered with the creaminess thing for a few weeks after my original post - e.g. cheese sauces, mixing with yoghurt.  By now, while once in a very small while she still seems to only eat stuff with yoghurt in (say once every 3-4 weeks)  the more common situation is that she eats too much savoury and then refuses the fruit / pudding that I offer her because she's too full!

My advice to anyone else in the same situation.  Persevere with the creaminess and definitely try cheese / white sauces or plain yoghurt to try and reduce the sugar intake.  But don't panic! :)