Author Topic: Basic questions....  (Read 2734 times)

Offline besjoux

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:48:05 am »
I have 3 kids and have forgotten everything. Also, my last 2 had problems with constipation so I think I started more than 1 meal a day too soon. She will be 6 months on February 15th. She just started solids this past Friday and I have been giving her just a little taste of pear sauce once a day. My questions are...

1) when did you start 2+ meals a day
2) when did you start a sippy cup and did you do milk or water?

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
Catherine x

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 20:01:01 pm »
I can't even tell if this is going well. She's back to napping poorly since starting solids. We just started on pears. Maybe she is sensitive with foods or her stomach has to acclimate? I give her probiotics. DH thinks she is teething but the napping problems started right when we gave her solids.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Basic questions....
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 20:42:02 pm »
Hi, if she is just going a taste I woudnt think it old affect naps? Are nights affected too?

I think with the sippy I would start with water and at meal times. It will take a while her her to get the hang of it but just leave it there for her to get used to it.

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:24 am »
I really do think it is the solids making her fussy. She is an angel baby and this is the worst I have seen her. Much more sensitive. I am literally only giving her 1 TBL a day and starting with the easy stuff...steamed pears (pureed), and now squash. I wait 4 days to try something new and when I start the new food I give her 1/2 TBL. All of the nap issues and fussiness started the day after starting solids.

Ironically I can never do the cereals with my kids and they all seem to have constipation when starting solids. She doesn't seem to be constipated but is thicker. I am also giving her probiotics every day. Is this just something she has to go thru to adjust to eating food?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 17:36:39 pm »
Is this just something she has to go thru to adjust to eating food?

Hard to say... Maybe stop with the solids for a few days and see if she improves?

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 20:24:28 pm »
I called my pediatrician too. I hate to stop and start up to have to go thru the same thing. Is sleep regression common? Maybe I have an easy problem? I might poke over there and have them check my easy.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 21:17:32 pm »
Worth a try  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 23:08:07 pm »
All of the nap issues and fussiness started the day after starting solids.
I think if you feel it was the solids then it could well be.  I've seen quite a few threads over the last couple of years with some sleep disturbance when solids are introduced.  More often I've seen night sleep disturbed but it could be naps too.  My DS certainly had bad sleep when we introduced solids but it resolved reasonably quickly.  I made sure solids were 1.5hrs before sleep (it's hard to fit it all in the day to begin with!) with the hopes any gas would pass before sleep, this helped a lot.  I also avoided fruit before sleep but that was because I have a silent refluxer and I felt fruit might be too acidic before laying down.
I also considered possible over stimulation with intro of foods because it is a totally new experience, smell, flavour, texture, eating something that isn't milk, being given a sippy cup, sitting in a new high chair.  It's quite a lot to deal with really, like getting a new toy but one that stimulates all the senses in one hit.
It's not necessarily a food allergy or routine issue, although of course worth considering everything.

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:46 am »
I spoke to my pediatrician and was floored that she called (it's usually a nurse). She said she would really like to see DD stay on solids but keep going really slow. If we still have problems in a week then we need to rethink and have her seen.

One thing is that she seems fine when she poops which is why I think nighttime sleep is good. However, my kids are all good (knocking on wood) nighttime sleepers. It's usually naps they let affect them. Once she poops before bedtime she is much better. So maybe it is tummy cramps or gas? I couldn't take it much slower and her Ped thinks that it won't matter if we stop and wait another few weeks but that's it is time for her to try solids. I don't think it's routine or new exposure because we have had her in the high chair with us for awhile. She is a super "go-with-the-flow" baby and new stuff does not bother her in the least.

I also notice she is worse when laying down so maybe the solids initiated some reflux? She is spitting up more now too. She never had reflux as a newborn or infant....just things have changed now. I have had 2 refluxers with very different personalities so I was on guard for quite awhile. But she has been the easiest baby. I really can't complain, I just feel badly for her:(