Author Topic: 5 and a half months old suddenly refuses the bottle  (Read 1055 times)

Offline hilis_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 and a half months old suddenly refuses the bottle
« on: January 29, 2013, 23:55:17 pm »
DS was suffering from a running nose 10 days ago and since then started refusing the bottle.
He used to drain 6oz in minutes. Recently he's been feeding at 5AM and then WU between 6AM to 7AM so I would feed him before his nap and then about every 4 hours. In the past week he would slowly drink about 2oz at a time if the milk was warm enough and there were no interrupts (darken the room and quiet).. He's BF once a day and would take the breast happily..
He would also feed happily from a spoon so I serve him formula liquidish cereal.

He used to wake up once at night and now he wakes up between 2 to 3 times feeding about 5oz.
This is sort of his new routine
E 5AM 5oz
WU ~6:30
E 8:15 2oz
S 8:30 (1.5-2 hours)
E ~12 2oz
S 12:30 (1.5 hours)
E 15 (BF)
S 16 (45 mins)
E 17 Ceareal
E 18:30 2oz
Bed time ~18:45
NW either at midnight and around 2AM or around 1AM (5oz)
NW 5AM (5oz)

He falls asleep on his own for both naps and bed time.
We've been down to 1/2 BF a day for a month now.
He doesn't seem to be consuming enough calories and it seems as if his body is adjusting to the reduced amounts.

I've seen the previous posts regarding similar issues but this also seems a little different from the other posts so I'm asking for suggestions.
TIA

Offline jahollis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 and a half months old suddenly refuses the bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 16:50:20 pm »
Hi

My LO is 5 mo old and just went through a similar thing, she just started refusing the bottle or if she ate, it was only 2-4 oz. It took about  2 weeks for her to start eating again without struggling with her. I am not sure if it was her cold, or teething but it did pass! I used a cold teething toy before she drank her bottle which seemed to help even tho I wasn't sure if she was actually teething.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 5 and a half months old suddenly refuses the bottle
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 23:10:11 pm »
How long ago did you introduce the cereal at supper time?