Author Topic: 4 month old eczema--help  (Read 2249 times)

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 31, 2013, 16:47:01 pm »
hi,

my LO 4 month old has a flare up of eczema on both arms.  Last night was so rough...crying all night.

i breast feed all day, but her dream feed is Baby's Only Organic Lactose free formula.  However i noticed her eczema getting worse.

I'm going to stop that formula, and just use breast milk.

any other suggestions...i won't use steriod creams though

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 16:49:30 pm »
Are you still eating dairy?  She might have a dairy intolerance and is getting milk proteins through your breast milk.

Hugs, we are going through lots of eczema issues with DS2 (he is older though) and we have eliminated dairy and gluten and are seeing improvements.  He used to scratch so bad especially at night, now it is all healing and he is not scratching.

We won't use the steroid creams either.  Right now I am using Weleda calendula cream on both DS2 and DD at night, and a mix of coconut and jojoba oil during the day.  It's helping a lot.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 4 month old eczema--help
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 16:54:01 pm »
My baby had awful eczema - cracked, weeping, infected - and after lots of dietary eliminations nothing helped. The only thing that cleared it (and it did 100% clear it) was going SLS free for laundry and bath products for the whole family, not just his laundry/baths. Once he was older and his skin was clear we were able to reintroduced SLS products and he occasionally gets a few slight patches of eczema now, but not enough to trouble him. Maybe 2-3 times per YEAR he complains of itching and we use a spot of cortisone cream.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 17:22:28 pm »
DD had eczema all over her body and I also didn't want to use steroid creams so I took her to an osteopath.  2 treatments and it's totally cleared up!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 17:23:19 pm »
what did the osteopath do?

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 17:26:32 pm »
i use a chammomile wash, then put coconut oil and shea butter.

i always use sls free detergent. everything is 100% cotton.

so thats why i think its the lactose free formula...there is still milk proteins right?????

very seldom do i have dairy....but i do eat wheat/gluten...maybe that?

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 20:22:01 pm »
I understand you not wanting to use topical steroids especially on such a young baby. I felt this way myself. I would have prefered to only use natural products for my ds but nothing worked. My ds is 8 years old (diagnosed with atopic eczema at 6 weeks old) and has food allergies, environmental allergies, asthma ans severe atopic eczema. To be honest most of the conventional treatments have not worked for his eczema either and is currently on an immunosuppresant to help get it under control. There are lots of possible side effects with this medicine but we have gone down this route as mydsad no qualty of life before starting this. I guess what I am trying to say is try the natuaral route by all means and it may work (which I really hope it does) but please don't let your baby suffer if it does not.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 20:36:46 pm »
what did the osteopath do?
Osteopathy is a system of health care that looks at the relationship between the body’s physical structure (bones, ligaments, muscles and organs) and its impact on the body’s physiological processes. Osteopathy assists the body to regain its normal functioning as a balanced and efficient system.  The osteopath told me that eczema is related to digestive and liver function so we that's what she worked on with my DD.  I'm not sure how exactly it works but all she did was move her hands on DD on various points of her body.  The difference in her skin is incredible.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 20:59:56 pm »
I know a few people who have had great success with oseopathy for their lo's eczema. We did try this but unfortunately it diid not work for my ds though. It is definitely worth trying though.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 22:35:51 pm »
thats why i think its the lactose free formula...there is still milk proteins right?

Very unlikely that this would help hun... very very few LOs are lactose intolerant - it's extremely rare.  And you would likely see an issue with breastfeeding, it contains very high levels of lactose.

I would be willing to bet it's a dairy intolerance involving proteins.  Stop the formula, pump for the DF if you want to use a bottle for it.  Cut dairy (and if you can, soy as well since the proteins are very similar) from your own diet and see what happens after a week.

Hugs!

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:12:01 am »
thanks everyone. its been a few days that we stopped formula and i've been applying coconut oil and shea butter 2x a day.  Its already looking better.  the flare up redness is gone, now its just dry looking and rough.

does this mean its going away? never seen eczema before

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:47 am »
If it's looking better already that is promising.  Eczema is a catch all term really, it can come and go and be caused by so many different things.  I would keep doing what you're doing for now and hopefully it continues to improve.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:36:10 am »
^^ This.