Author Topic: organic cow's milk-is it worth it?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: organic cow's milk-is it worth it?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 21:29:44 pm »
Yes, you are a part of the EU :) My DH did his training in Ireland, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 22:40:50 pm »
One other reason I buy organic milk for the kids is because I like that the animals are only fed organic food and therefore pesticides from food aren't passed on in the milk.

This too :)  No pesticides, GMOs, fertilizers etc.

And FWIW, while it is "permitted" most US dairies don't use bovine growth hormone in their milk -- not to say there aren't others, but that seems to be the one of main concern these days -- even before I consistently bought organic all of the milk I could find didn't have it.

I was under the impression that it doesn't have to be disclosed in the USA since growth hormones are permitted...

But other than growth hormones there are the antibiotics to think about. A conventional cow can be given antibiotic and on the pack of it would be instructions how long not to use it's milk, but there can still be traces of it, not harmful for human consumption but they are still in there. In Organic farming you double this time so there are no traces of the antibiotic.

I did mention this :)  In Canada, once a cow has been given antibiotics, it cannot be used to make organic milk ever again...

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 22:45:19 pm »
In the UK, cows can go back to the organic herd once antibiotics have left their system. But, a farm won't get or maintain it's organic certification if they routinely use antibiotics or use them prophylactically. I guess the health benefits are always up for debate, we buy organic milk (and meat) because of the welfare issues.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:14 am »
But, a farm won't get or maintain it's organic certification if they routinely use antibiotics or use them prophylactically.
Yeah, and the farmer actually has to phone the certifying body before giving the antibiotic to the animal.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/