Author Topic: 20 month old picky eater  (Read 1358 times)

Offline heatherc4

• Mommy to Christopher and Joshua <3
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Brotherly love <3
20 month old picky eater
« on: February 04, 2013, 20:42:09 pm »
Ok, so my 20 month old is a picky eater... Loves his veggies and fruit... Could eat a farm dry of all it's cucumbers, but for the life of me, I can't get him to eat much else. The only meat he will eat is McDonalds (occasionally) and bologna... I would love it if we could all sit down and eat dinner without me having to stress about his protein intake.
He doesn't much care for eggs/peanut butter/lentils or any other protein sources... He is such a skinny little thing (22 pounds) but otherwise healthy as can be... So full of energy and smart as a whip, so it's not affecting him at all, just causing me stress.... Our doctor says he'll grow out of it, but it's been this way since we started solids...
Should I just let it be? Or does anyone have any creative meal ideas?

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: 20 month old picky eater
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 21:32:25 pm »
Hi there, I know exactly how you feel in that my DD is not a fan of meat either and I worry about her protein levels too. What I went back to doing was chopping the meat up really tiny in her meals and hiding it. So in things like chicken curry I would chop it so small she wouldn't notice it in there. I figured I would rather she ate it and we tackled getting larger chunks in there later. It worked as I gradually increased the size of her chunks of meat and she accepted it. Also adding sauces like gravy worked well. DD still won't eat huge amounts of meat but she is better and I just keep offering it and not stressing if she doesn't eat it. Does your DS like beans, my DD loves kidney beans, baked beans, chickpeas etc and that is a good protein source. HTHs a little.