Author Topic: Quick succession of food when starting solids - anyone else hear this?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Shellha

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
I went to my paed on Monday to follow up on my 13wo DDs reflux meds. While there I broached the subject of when to introduce solid food. When I had DS1 and DS2 (almost 7 and 5 years ago) the recommendation was 6 mths, however I noticed that it now seemed to be 4 months.

My DD is EBF and the paed said that allergies etc will be minimised if you continue to breastfeed and introduce new foods (eg a new one each day) in quick succession. If you do this, starting at 4 months is fine.

Has anyone else heard this? If you have, is there anywhere I can read more about it?

Not doubting him, but as I have never heard anything about it I would like to know more and the science behind it.

Thanks
Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: Quick succession of food when starting solids - anyone else hear this?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:48:23 am »
When I had DS1 and DS2 (almost 7 and 5 years ago) the recommendation was 6 mths, however I noticed that it now seemed to be 4 months.
Hummm, here it was the opposite: few years ago it was solids from 4 mo, now it is more 6 mo, although some paeds are sill with the "old fashion" and introduce fruit at 4 mo. However, I heard from friends that are weaning now, that another theory is coming out. Apparently, there are studies that say that allergies are minimized if you introduce all kind of solids (included eggs, that for us were the last to be introduced after 1 yo) between 6 and 8 mo. This makes sense to me since I remember from my studies that when the immune system develops, it learns not to react with things it encounters during development. But it is a huge difference from what I have been told when introducing solids to DS (now 3 yo).
Barbara

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:50:56 am »
Not sure about the quick succession thing but I have definitely heard of introducing foods early alongside BFing.  I heard of it in a trial being conducted here (in London) at a major teaching hospital.  Basically researching the benefits of introducing allergens (wheat, dairy etc) alongside EBFing.  Perhaps they've finished the trial, come up with the results and are now recommending it?  FWIW, as far as I remember, it wasn't really 'starting solids', more just giving them small amounts of allergens to get them into their systems. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Shellha

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:50 am »
It's just so confusing when you have been told that you must absolutely not start solids before a certain time and then it changes by a whole 2 months. That said, I did start DS1 at 4.5mths due to reflux issues, but dS2 started closer to 6 months. I might try and have a look for the study you mention Anne, as that sounds interesting!
Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:09 am »
It's just so confusing when you have been told that you must absolutely not start solids before a certain time and then it changes by a whole 2 months.
Yes, I agree, it is confusing. But research evolves and never gives you *absolute* answers. The recommendations are always relative to the data we have at the moment, no scientist can say they are absolutely the best things to do.
Barbara

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:28 am »
I really think they need a bit of head control and something of an ability to sit up before eating solids.  It's just my opinion but it definitely ruled out anything much before 6 mo here.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.