Author Topic: Cows milk at 1 year - can it cause problems?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline katiepierce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Cows milk at 1 year - can it cause problems?
« on: January 12, 2012, 21:00:15 pm »
Hi all,

Can't believe I'm now writing on the toddler boards!

I changed LO to cows milk cold turkey on his birthday which was this past monday and he loves it BUT since that day he has woken crying at 5.30am every morning. He also maybe teething a bit but does seem a lot more gassy on the cows milk and so wondered if this early morning waking could be discomfort related???

Maybe I should have started him gradually, I didnt because I was sure he'd like it...didnt even think of any other potential problems. Silly mummy!

X

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Cows milk at 1 year - can it cause problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:14:29 am »
Hugs hun.

I am learning this the hard way too... DD is 14 months and I started a slow wean - gassy, cranky and seemed to be holding back from throwing up :(

I would go back to formula and do a gradual intro in a few weeks time.  That will allow him to recover from his first milk experience and give you a clear indication of any issues when trying again :)

Offline Tiz_01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:38:49 am »
I changed dd onto cows milk gradually over a few weeks but as soon as she was on just cows milk she became extremely grumpy and it started excema off.  took her off again and noticed immediate improvement, especially with the grumpiness! I'm just starting to re-introduce cows milk gradually again after 4 months. We will see!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:18 pm »
I introduced cow's milk (transitioned from formula) at 1 year.  I was mixing them to slowly wean DS, but he was very cranky and gassy.  I stopped the transition and he was fine.  I started again at I want to say 14 months and it was the same thing all over again.  I was surprised because he tolerates yogurt and cheese just fine.  I spoke to the ped and he said that he was probably lactose intolerant, but could tolerate yogurt and cheese because the lactose is further broken down in those two foods.  We switched to Lactaid whole milk and there was no problem. 

I should mention he was on gentle formula as an infant.

I think they sometimes outgrow the intolerance which is what I'm hoping for.  I agree with pps - I would stop the transition and then try again in a month or so and then go from there. Good luck!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline katiepierce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 13:44:49 pm »
Thanks girls, so lovely to have some been there done that experiences.

I will do just what you have all suggested and stop the transition for now and see if the symptoms disappear. I'm not 100% sure it is the cause as he's teething too but I guess stopping the cows milk will let me know for sure.

Another question though - is it ok to go back to stage 1 infant formula or do I need to go on to toddler milk?

X

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 16:56:27 pm »
samsmommy, since your doctor said he was lactose intolerant I am surprised he had you try lactaid and not almond or soy?? 

My DS I suspect is lactose intolerant as well....does lactaid have good nutrients and vitamins in it like whole milk?? maybe I should try that instead of almond milk?? :)  How does your son like the taste?

Offline Tiz_01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 18:06:42 pm »
Katiepierce, as he is a year I think it should be the growing up milk, or whichever is specifically tailored to 1yr+ as the nutrients are different I believe.  hth

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 20:37:01 pm »
My son went through an early waking stage around this age.  What seemed to be consistent in the end was teething.  It seemed strange at the time because all he wanted was milk when he woke but I think it was more because milk chills him out and comforts him.  I mean, my son at that age would wake at 5, sometimes 4:30 then have a single nap for 45mins - 1hr and that was it.  Now he wakes at 6 and sleeps for 1hr to 1hr 45!  No change in his diet, just the teeth.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 21:20:21 pm »
My doctor said to go back to infant formula - follow up toddler stuff here in Canada tends to have sugar in it to appeal to a toddler ;)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 21:21:56 pm »
Re" almond/soy vs lactaid milk... lactaid milk is just cow's millk without lactose in it... much like the milk equivalent of lactose free baby formula :)

Offline katiepierce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 20:27:20 pm »
Thanks so much for all your advice girls, really appreciate it : ) X

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 00:10:24 am »
Re" almond/soy vs lactaid milk... lactaid milk is just cow's millk without lactose in it... much like the milk equivalent of lactose free baby formula
^^what Kara said :)  Good luck!
--Nicole

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 14:39:15 pm »
wonder if I should try that vs almond/coconut milk?  I decided not to use soy b/c of the controversy with boys.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 20:21:55 pm »
I would give the Lactaid milk a shot - it's got everything nutrient wise that milk has, just without the lactose to bug his little tummy :)

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:28 pm »
Agree -- and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but the taste is sweeter than regular milk so your LO will probably really like it!
--Nicole