Author Topic: bit concerend about calcium intake  (Read 7017 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: bit concerend about calcium intake
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 15:01:31 pm »
If he doesn't like cow's milk would he try another milk? If dairy triggers some reflux maybe he associates that with dairy now? Olly has oat milk that is fortified with calcium.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 20:34:30 pm »
Thanks.  I'll get that oat milk.  I don't think he associates milk with reflux because up to this recent dramatic drop he was taking enough (enough for him, which is still half the guidance but he is a small boy and U must take that into account).  I'm certainly still open to ideas and still trying things.

Used the evaporated milk to make pancakes today and also put grated sweet pot in, so they were good calcium pancakes.  He did eat a fair amount, but of course he refused his wu milk completely this morning which means the pancakes are almost the only thing he's had with calcium in today and I just can't see that they'd make up for missing his milk.
He used to eat dried figs, liked them so much I had to limit them, been totally refusing them this week.  it's like he knows where the calcium is and is just actively avoiding it!

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 22:00:06 pm »
Maybe this is a little odd but... Couldn't this be a way of self-regulation? What I mean is that I notice with DS that (as usually all kids) he passes from periods in which he eats a lot to periods in which he eats much less. Moreover, he seems to really know what he needs: if for lunch he had prevalently carbohydrates, for dinner he will tend to eat more proteins, and vice versa. I don't know, but this could be a period for your ds in which his body needs less calcium intake and after a while he will start increasing the amount again (like it happens with food intake)... Try notto worry too much. If his body knows where he calcium is, it will know also how to regulate calcium intake.
Barbara

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 13:39:55 pm »
Thank you Barbara.
It's not an odd suggestion at all and is one that is constantly in my mind even when I am worrying about the calcium.
He totally proved when he was a baby (after 6 months when he was taking solids) that he self regulated his dairy intake, the more solids dairy I gave the less milk he drank from his bottles.  Everyone (BWers, other mums, family, the health visitor etc) all said to give more dairy solids to make up for the lack of milk he would drink but it was a cycle of increasing one and him reducing the other.  Eventually I cut out just about all dairy solids to see what happened and he started drinking milk again.
He is just like your LO in the sense of balancing his food groups, large carbs meal here, pure protein meal there, then only veg and not touch anything else, on the whole it balances very well (and I remember reading about BLW that LOs know what they need).  I do want to have faith and trust his body knows what it needs but there's a little part of me that says he can be fooled by his tastes rather than following his needs - in that he would eat nothing but fruit all day long if I allowed it and I know I must limit his fruit portions to ensure he will eat the other food groups.  Of course reading about the problems caused by low calcium and how important it is to remedy the situation as early as possible, that adds to the worry!
I'm tempted to get the referral to the dietician just so we can get a blood test to see his calcium levels, then I could rest assured that he really is self regulating.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 18:30:35 pm »
FYI - when we saw the dietician she asked us to complete a 3 day diary of what Olly ate and drank. She then worked out roughly how much he was getting of the food groups and the nutrients. Olly never had a blood test and he doesn't have ANY dairy. He was given a supplement of calcium.

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 23:23:36 pm »
I have the impression that the taste becomes more and more important while growing up, so ds eats more what he likes now and self regulates less that when he was 1 or 2 yo. But still, now he spends periods of eating less and periods in which he eats loads (like now...). And still, when he is given something he likes like chocolate or chips (especially from ILs that give him all sort of junk food...there's no way I can explain them that it is ok, for me, to give him a little chocolate but it is not ok to give him chocolate AND chips AND cookies, all in the same day...) he eats some of them and then he stops, like he has enough.
You have ot do what you feel, but probably a dietician could estimate, from what he eats, if the amount of calcium is enough or not, as pp said. I think the amount needed depends also from the vit D, which is built by our body in response to light and sun, so spending days outside, when the weather is good, helps calcium utilization. And during the summer we have more vit D than in the winter.
Barbara

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:53 am »
Fortunately I don't have any one feeding him any chocolate or anything like that.  He's had the odd biscuit at birthday parties but it's so rare it's isn't worth counting.
He does already have a vit drop daily which has A C and D.  So even with cold wet winter days he has some vit D to help make the most of what calcium he does take.