Author Topic: Talk to me about toddler workbench  (Read 2910 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Talk to me about toddler workbench
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:24:26 am »
Without any prior warning we have acquired a pre-loved workbench along with lots of tools, an electric screwdriver, spirit level, spanners, saw, hammer with a couple of pegs for hitting etc etc, plus nuts and bolts and pieces to make some vehicles.  It's all in great condition so I feel we are very fortunate.  I can also see it would offer a range of imaginative play, gross and fine motor play.

On the down side I was already feeling a bit overwhelmed with toys, now we have this big lump in the living room plus lots of tools (I've put at least half away but there are still lots), beyond the initial excitement of getting it all out and helping us put it together DS doesn't appear interested.  He did go to it first thing this morning but only played for about 30 seconds.  He might need time to become accustomed to it and some coaching as to what to do, how to play.

So - what I'm wondering is, did/does your LO have a workbench, would you recommend them as good play things?  how does your LO play with it?
Just looking to see if I need to talk myself into liking this big lump in the living room, find it a new space that is less offensive, or take it to Nana's for him to have occasional play with it there (my mum doesn't find any sized lump offensive or obstructive, she's already said she'll have it at her place if I want).

Tell me about your experiences please.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: Talk to me about toddler workbench
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:25:21 am »
Is it a toy? My dd has always loved using tools and hammering etc but it is only ever done outside in my DH's workshop, I think it sounds like something i would prefer outside or in a playhouse!
Katt

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 13:38:52 pm »
Yes it's a toy. Very similar to this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theo-Klein-Bosch-Pieces-8320/dp/B001LU4324/ref=sr_1_8?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1361536353&sr=1-8
plus this but without the carry case
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Drill-Screwdriver-Mobile/dp/B0000AC9C0/ref=sr_1_7?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1361536353&sr=1-7
plus parts for making a range of vehicles.  Probably £100+ worth of toy.

Although it's a toy the electric screwdriver works, I mean the heads fit into large heads on the bolts so you can actually put stuff together, the spanner fits the nuts, there is plastic wood with holes to join together or hammer through plastic pegs.  So it's not real (meaning it's safe without constant supervision, but doesn't give the full experience like real tools would) but still offers some fine and gross motor development, not 'just' imaginative play.

If we had an outside, a real workshop/shed or playhouse that would be an ideal place for it.  We don't, just a roof terrace and mighty strong wind meaning nothing can stay up there.
My mum has a playhouse for DS in her garden, it might fit in there, then again she wouldn't even mind it in her living room because she is totally blind to clutter and stuff.  Just means he wouldn't get to play with it often.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 13:56:41 pm »
That's so cool, I am sure he will grow to love it! Asyour mum wouldn't mind I think I would move it to hers, for some reason toys at grandparents' houses seem to be so much more exciting!
Katt

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 20:04:04 pm »
It is pretty cool, I mean, I wouldn’t have gone out and bought it myself, wouldn't have even added it to a wish list for birthday etc, but for an as-good-as-new freebie I can't really knock it.
It's grown on me (just a little) today and DS has been over to play with it a couple more times.  He might need a bit of time to warm to it and some help playing with it, I wasn't really sure how to help him play with is tbh other than showing him how the nuts and bolts work, the bench vice and stuff.  However I discovered today that one of the little saws he already had before this workbench arrived, will actually cut through corrugated card and egg boxes (but totally finger friendly), so I think I could set him up with an egg box in the vice and set him to sawing :)
Still very tempted to take it over to my mum's place but I'll see how it goes here for a week or two, I would feel mean taking it to my mums if it turns out he loves it as we rarely go there (she comes here).

Still interested to hear about other toddlers playing with a workbench if there are any out there.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 20:12:49 pm »
We don't have one, but friends do. My DS loves it when we visit, the owner never plays with it and they are now selling it on.

Same for our play oven - never used by DS after the initial excitement but then used by all visiting friends.

It's the whole 'toy rotation' thing - anything that sticks around too long gets ignored. My opinion only!

Could you have it at yours for a while and then transfer to your mum's?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 20:33:11 pm »
Could you have it at yours for a while and then transfer to your mum's?
That's likely what I'll do.

Our toy rotation isn't working very well anymore.  He just asks to go to 'favourite room' where all the 'away' toys and books are and wants to play in there instead  ::)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 20:41:58 pm »
We bought a similar one for DS - I though he would love it, he barely even played with it even if I did play with him ::). He did like the tools and still plays with them but never with the actual workbench bit.

I would take it to your mum's too - it will be all the more exciting if he doesn't see it so often! My two still love to play with the ride-ons they are really too big for now because they are up my mum's!

Laura