Author Topic: throwing food and spilling drink help  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Cat_ot

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:46 am »
Hi
my son is 16 month old and has his meals in the high chair. he is a good eater but once bored he starts throwing his food onto the floor, he purs his drink on the floor or high chair andf just laughs when i tell him off. i have tried shouting, calmly explaining it all but he just thinks its funny. im finding it frustrating and my carpets are getting messy even though i have a slapsh mat. i try to encourage him to use plates but then he likes to tip them up and look at them or lick them. advice please?

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: throwing food and spilling drink help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 21:21:40 pm »
Hi there, I think all toddlers pretty much go through this phase and it is just that, a phase. It will pass as he learns more about what is acceptable table behaviour and what is not. With my DD we found the less attention we paid to it the better. If we reacted she too would laugh and do it all the more. We found that saying something calmly like "we don't throw our food you must be finished now" and taking the plate/dish away worked well. She would often protest and I would return her plate saying "eat it up nicely then". I know how frustrating this is but trust me he will grow out of it, just be consistent in your approach.
Another thing that worked wonders for our DD was sitting her on a booster seat on our dining chairs, it was like she felt more part of the family meal then and accepted table rules better by following our example. As for your carpet, could you get a plastic sheet or tablecloth that you can put under his chair? Then you can just wipe it clean afterwards. HTHs a little.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: throwing food and spilling drink help
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 23:10:03 pm »
What Bex said. When my little girl is doing this, I take the plate away and just put a couple of tiny morsels on the table in front of her, she is much more likely to eat them rather than throw them if there is only a tiny bit. If all she wants to do is play then she's clearly not hungry and the meal is over.