Author Topic: Not sure what to do :(  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Not sure what to do :(
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:22 am »
So C has been diagnosed with cows milk protein intolerance/allergy. (The dietician we spoke to on the phone said intolerance but the paed said allergy? I'm not actually sure of the difference!)

I have cut ALL dairy and soy from my diet and his symptoms are MUCH better but not completely gone - could he be intolerant to something else? Eggs maybe?

The paed prescribed neocate and hinted that he thinks C would do better on it but never actually told me to stop bf!

I'm out of my depth! I don't know what to do? I'm not sure what to cut out my diet? Should I go egg free and see what happens?
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Not sure what to do :(
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 13:26:06 pm »
I would start by double checking all the things you are eating to make sure there is no hidden dairy.  How long have you been dairy free for? I might give in a couple of weeks to see before starting to eliminate other foods, and then I would def. start with the more common allergens like egg, wheat, etc. 

I would take a guess that it falls under intolerance, as a true allergy generally has symptoms like hives/swelling/anaphylaxis whereas intolerance is mainly gastro issues (or at least it was for us, and ezcema).
Heidi

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 15:05:16 pm »
Hugs hon!! The paed was probably thinking of your sanity- in a way it might be unfair of him to force you to cut out heaps of things from your diet.. But if you feel that you can then you know that the BF has so many benefits! Keep it up for as long as it isn't driving you CRAZY!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 15:10:25 pm »
Just wanted to add a link to this site, they have awesome info on how to avoid hidden allergens plus loads of other support:

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org
Heidi

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 15:47:38 pm »
The website that Heidi has given you is a fantastic site. It has lots of great information on it and lots of very knowledgeable members.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 20:20:56 pm »
Thanks :) I've been dairy/soy free for 5 weeks. I have religiously checked labels and made lots more food from scratch. I'm 99% sure I've not had any dairy. For the first 4 weeks I was also gluten free but the dietician advised me to add it back in to see how he was and he seems the same as before so I don't think it was that.

I have the neocate now and will give him a bottle tonight (he usually has one bottle a day!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 21:58:28 pm »
HI,

If you have already been off gluten then you could try eggs. Won't hurt for a week or two. They are fairly easy to avoid. Whay symptoms has he been left with even though you are off dairy and soy. He started to STTN right? That is fab!

I think at such a young age the terms intolerance and allergy are pretty much interchangeable TBH, it can't really be proved either way KWIM?

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 20:17:41 pm »
pah :( He had neocate all weekend while I was away and he was much better :( I feel so sad to think that he might be better on the neocate! Im struggling with all this :(

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 22:10:17 pm »
I would def go egg free for a good week and see what happens. I think you said when you went gluten free it didn't help much so this would be the next big step to take and then you have looked at the 4 biggies.