Author Topic: Back to work soon-OOOPS!  (Read 1743 times)

Offline annazet

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:37:10 am »
Hello!
My LO is 5 months now and when he finishes 6 I'm going to have to go back to work. I'll work around 5 -6 hours so I'll only miss one feeding. The thing is that I breastfeed only and don't want to introduce formula. I know that it's better to introduce solids when LOs finish 6 months but the doctor advised me that in case of my son it's better to feed him with carrot etc than formula.
So my question is: do you thik that in a month we'll be able to substitute one breastfeed with a solid meal? What do you advise me to introduce first and how?
Thank you so much for any reply b/c I really feel lost here.

Offline eidos

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 15:32:05 pm »
Could you not express and feed the breastmilk from the bottle? tbh I don't think a breastmilk feed should be replaced with solids if you can avoid it, it's the primary source for meeting their nutritional needs until around 1 year and solid food is more about exploration and learning until then.
Personally I'd start expressing and always give her that milk feed from the bottle from this point on, I'd keep her cuddled up to me and try to make it as pleasant as possible to get her used to using the bottle. If that couldn't be done I'd then look at finding more nutritionally complete meals to give her instead. Normally they say start by introducing fruit to begin with but since the meal would be replacing rather than complimenting the milk I'd want something a bit more substantial to take its place.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Back to work soon-OOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 19:09:22 pm »
Hi there,

How many BFs does he get in the day? It would be too soon to drop a feed but it depends on how many he is getting I guess.

Offline annazet

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:38:42 am »
The problem is that I'm usually unable to express anything- he just eats it all. Or if I'm not home and my DH gives him my milk thet I froze before and I miss one feed, than I can express some, but not enough for one feed. So basically I have 15 portions frozen but it's enough just for 3 weeks or so. I'm thinking maybe I could start introducing solids now and when I go to work I would give him half of the portion of my milk plus Sinlac and then some carrot etc- that would make this meal as nutritionally rich as possible and my frozen milk would last for longer...
Btw, I gave my LO a quarter of a teaspoon of carrot and he started to cough and choke and didn't like it at all, but it's just the begining I guess :)
Now I feed every 3,25-3,5 hrs and plan to make it 4...

Offline Kirsten~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Back to work soon-OOOPS!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:46:39 am »
Can you pump while at work? I'm not sure where you are, but in the US there are laws in a lot of states that make it a requirement for companies to provide a place (not a bathroom) and time for a woman to pump. That would make it more comfortable for you so you're not too full. Then you would probably pump enough or close to enough to cover his bottles.

Offline annazet

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:57 pm »
What I did was I started to make my LO used to formula by giving him one portion every day. Sometimes I'm able to express some milk thanks to that and freeze it. So far I dont notice my LO prefering the formula, so I hope Ill be able to maintain the breastfeeding for a long time. When I go back to work the nanny will give him the frozen milk every second day to make it last longer. I hope that giving my DS one portion of formula once in two days doesnt do any harm here.
Even if I miss one feed Im not able to express very much, so expressing exclusively was not an option. But I will have a special place to do it at work, so Ill definitely try to pump as much as possible.