Author Topic: sippy cups  (Read 2325 times)

Offline D2323

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 04, 2013, 19:48:49 pm »
HI, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but my daughter just turned 9 months old. We introduced a sippy cup at 6 months but it was mostly a toy at that part. As she has gotten older she really hasn't taken to it like I thought she would. I offer it when she has solids and sometimes when we are playing. She will drink a little if I help her tip it up but she is definitely not taking in a significant amount of water. How have people increased or helped the sippy cup transition? Is this still normal for 9 months?

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: sippy cups
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 13:52:02 pm »
In my experience, yes, it is not unusual.  I honestly think 9 mo is about the beginning age most kids can start becoming proficient with the use of a sippy.  I remember my pediatrician saying that even though lots of sippy's claim to be usable from 6 mo plus, most kids are using it as a plaything only until about 9/10 mo.  Of course, every kid is different.

I would say just continue to use it.  Perhaps experiment with sippy cups to see which one she likes best- hard spout, soft spout, straw (although she is probably a little young for that at this age).

Try not to stress about it too much.  Consider the bottle/breast to be the way she gets liquids and the sippy just something for her to explore at this point.  She will get the hand of it.....

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 14:26:31 pm »
Neither of my boys really got how to use a sippy cup until over a year.  Straw sippys were much more successful.  With DD I just went and bought her a straw sippy and she got it right away.  She is 7.5 months.  Mostly sippys at this age are for experimentation as LOs should get all they need from their milk, but if you really want her to drink water I would try a straw sippy.  The one I have can be squeezed in the middle to help them understand how it works.  I really wanted my DD to drink some water because she was starting to get a bit constipated (even with all the BFs she has), and it worked like a charm. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 14:33:36 pm »
Same here. I can't remember what age, but it took DS months to drink anything significant from a sippy, but he just took to it all Of a sudden. Just stick with it and keep offering :)
Catherine x

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 14:39:58 pm »
J didn't drink much from a sippy until she was down to 2-3 BF per day - I just don't think they are really thirsty enough when they are still having lots of milk to be that bothered with water.

Offline new mum01

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 14:03:06 pm »
My 8 month old is down to 3 x BFs a day and now drinks a good amount of water from her sippy cup, yay! I noticed now her tongue seems to make the same shape as it does on the breast.
I was wondering how long before she gets the hang of taking it from the tray, tipping it up and setting it back down? (at the moment it's always when I offer it and tip it up for her, otherwise she just grasps it and shakes it). 
TIA

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 14:13:03 pm »
My kids took a long time to tip it on their own!  I have no idea why!  Both of them *could* do it, I want to say by about a year, but for whatever reason they would always ask me to tip it for them until probably 18 mos.  That's why I liked the straw cups, lol.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline new mum01

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 14:22:09 pm »
Thanks, I might have to try and get a straw cup! (PS, ignore my photo - that was a fluke when she was about 6 months old!)S
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 14:23:43 pm by new mum01 »

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 14:44:27 pm »
Ha!  I think I have the same pic of my DS1 at 6 mo old with his sippy.  He picked it up and took a sip and I thought, wow he's got it down already!  Yeah, it was a fluke!  LOL
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010