Author Topic: How much solids should I be giving my 7 month old?  (Read 7956 times)

Offline ginacr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How much solids should I be giving my 7 month old?
« on: February 12, 2013, 22:32:52 pm »
My LO has been on solids for a month now, he turned 7 months last week. He is now on 3 meals a day, cereal & fruit for breakfast, vegetables  for lunch & chicken or meat purée & vegetable mix for dinner. I BF him at 7, 11 & 3 & 7 & he has his solids at around 8:30, 12:30 & 5. I'm not sure how much solid food he should be eating at every meal. I just keep feeding him until he protests & doesn't open his mouth anymore. Sometimes he can eat quite a bit, but he is in the 90s percentiles for weight, he's 21lb.

The reason I was wondering if he is eating too much solid food is that he isn't really that interested in his 11 am & 3 pm BF's. He only seems to want to BF for 5 minutes & that seems enough for him. He is also very distracted by anything when I am BF so it is hard work.

He is also still waking at night, DF at 10:30/11 if he doesn't wake earlier & then sometimes 1 am & then usually 3 or 4 am. But even before he was on solids he was always waking twice a night or more.

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: How much solids should I be giving my 7 month old?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 14:25:24 pm »
Hi :)

The information here should help - Routines for Solids and Bottles/BF's 6-12months Do bear in mind though that milk is still the most important source of nutrition at this age.
Catherine x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 19:07:45 pm »
Hi, I would be tempted to cut down on his solids and see if he ups his day BF feeds. You don't want him up twice in the night for BFs if he isn't really getting them in the day! Milk has more calories than solids so yout want to be getting that in him.

Offline Nhudson

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:27 pm »
Hi ginacr, I seem to have a similar question...my son bf at 8, 12, 4 and 7:30 ish and he is on 3 solid meals a day as well. From what you have written our two LOs seem to be quite similar in terms of routine...did you cut back on the solids? And if so...did you notice a change?  Also, I am curious about when your LO naps during the day. Currently my LO has a fairly consistent morning nap but the afternoon is all over the place. I am hoping to switch his nursing to 7, 11, 3 and 7 so I am curious to see what works for you. I also have the problem of him not being too interested in his 12 or 4 o'clock feed so I can sympathize with you on that one. He is very easily distracted and it is worse when my 5 yo is home.  ::)
  I hope things are going well for you!!