Author Topic: IGG testing  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
IGG testing
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:14:48 am »
We did an IGG allergy test on Ethan. We have been having numerous issues with him but could never pin point a specific cause. We took him to a naturopath and she did an IGG allergy test. The results came back with a strong reaction to eggs. We have always assumed dairy and gluten but eggs never crossed my mind. It does make lots of sense though. Ethan loves eggs and eats them very frequently. So, since I am skeptical of everything :P ::) I just want some clarification on what this test is. Is this a true allergy test or is this something more in the realm of the unknown if that makes any sense? I have had results with naturopathic medicine however I am still skeptical of it and want to know how much faith to put into this? We are cutting eggs out as that is something we have never tried and I am up for it so hopefully we will se results to ease our minds but just curious if anyone knows anything about it. I am interested in doing it for Emily as well because we still really struggle with her :-\

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: IGG testing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:25:27 am »
(((hugs)))

Sorry no answer but definitely very interested in the topic so I'm going to tag along.
Elise

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:10 am »
From what I understand, IGG test is a test for immunoglobulin G - a type of cell that detects and marks invaders to the body for destruction. Allergies are then 'inappropriate' marking of things that aren't actually infectious or damaging to the body but body attacks it and causes damage to surrounding cells in the process.

Not sure how precisely the naturopath would do this testing.

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:46:06 am »
Becj is right regarding the IgGs.  You normally produce IgG Antibodies against viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc.  IgE is the Ab that produces an allergic (ie. histamine) response. 

Both types of Abs can be detected in a standard lab test (ELISA).  I hadn't heard of IgG testing for food allergies but it seems to be a bit controversial based on some searches I did.  For allergies I would have thought that they would do tests for IgEs ???

http://www.choosingwisely.org/doctor-patient-lists/american-academy-of-allergy-asthma-immunology/

http://meridianvalleylab.com/igg-allergy-testing

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:12 pm »
Generally speaking, IgG tests don't really work. IgGs are produced in your body as a response to foreign matter (like food) so really, it's just a sign that immune system is healthy and working. IgE tests (like RASTs) are what allergists use for "traditional" allergies. TBH, i'm surprised they didn't send you home with a whole pageful of things to avoid. Just out of curiosity, what were his tests to gluten and dairy like? I find egg easier to avoid than dairy and wheat, so i don't think it'd be too hard to avoid egg and see if this works for him? I'd be interested to see how he does....

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 14:35:03 pm »
For allergies I would have thought that they would do tests for IgEs

An allergist definitely would have, and it might be interesting Jenn, if you did see one and had scratch & RAST(IgE) done. I would try and cut out eggs anyways, as you never know. Spencer was considered allergic to eggs by our allergist based on rxn alone, testing showed nothing, after years of no egg at all she can finally eat it baked into things. 

Eggs is one that is usually outgrown at some point, my nephew has a way more severe allergy to eggs and his RAST numbers are going down so in the future he will get to do food trials.  For Ethan though it sounds more of an intolerance (which is sort of what I considered Spencer's) if he is not having hives/breathing issues etc.

And, as I always do on any food allergy post...check this site out, it is an excellent resource.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org
Heidi

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 19:26:08 pm »
Thanks girls! I should say that we weren't really looking for an allergy so much as an intolerance. He likely isn't actually allergic to anything but maybe just reacting to something. Anyways, the test did come back with a few other things but they were in the mild range whereas egg was in the severe range. Diary showed mild and gluten didnt show up at all. I know he definitely has some dairy issues but its mild and we know what his limits are with it. I am going to avoid egg because, like I said, that never entered my mind before so we have never tried it and it can't hurt.  It's just hard because his symptoms are so all over the place that you can't tell very easily if something is working or not!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:59 am »
What are the symptoms you are seeing? My son is allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts but there are other foods that effect his eczema and cause gi symptoms which I think are probably am intolerance rather than a true allergy. However I have not had him tested for these foods so I suppose he could actually be allergic to them. It does not really matter though as we avoid these foods anyway . 

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38:08 pm »
Jenn - I believe that IGG is the test that my DS had about a year ago.  It does not test for allergies as pps have said, but food intolerances.  My DS was found to have intolerances to gluten, casein, and egg (yolks and whites).  We cut them all out.  (He was actually tested by a developmental pediatrician who believes that food intolerances are linked to certain developmental delays). I had no idea that he had any kind of intolerance.  I will say that once we cut these things out, his focus and attention improved tremendously as she said it would, and his digestive system seemed to work much better (more normal BMs, no screaming when waking up from naps, etc).  I only saw what normal was like after we cut these things out because prior to it nothing really pointed to a major disturbance or allergy.  I don't believe DS has an allergy to these foods and if we did the IGE test I'd bet they'd come out negative, but knowing he has food intolerances has really helped things.  I will tell you that DS's gastro (who we started seeing after all of this for other reasons) doesn't believe in the IGE test, but I saw a change in DS so I do.

FYI if you cut eggs out, when you bake or make pancakes etc, you can use 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp of warm water = 1 egg.  They also sell egg replacement powder. 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)