Author Topic: 6month old stopped eating all but pear after 3 weeks...  (Read 1731 times)

Offline anxiousanny

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6month old stopped eating all but pear after 3 weeks...
« on: February 18, 2013, 13:11:20 pm »
My little boy is 6.5 months and for 3 weeks we've been trying purees. We started with pear (baby rice mixed in) then moved onto sweet potato, butternut squash, carrot and peach (didn't like cauliflower, parsnip, broccoli or apple). He's had trouble with his bowels ever since he was born, painful poos and difficulty pooing even though they were never hard so not constipation. That was his colic and it stopped at 3 months but his bowels are still very sensitive. At 4 months he developed acid reflux and we've been on mediation for 2 months. It's improved but the medicine had side effects on his bowels again.

5 days ago I gave him banana which he loved but I'd been worried it would really constipate him. I gave it to him the next day too then he did get constipated. We had to go for the prune juice remedy. It worked but ever since then, he's stopped eating everything other than pear. He now gets agitated when I put him in the chair at meal times and I don't want it to become a negative association but should I continue to give him the pear just so he's eating something? He eats porridge in the mornings though increasingly with lots of grumbling and cajoling.

I've read some posts that say to stop solids all together for a bit but I'm worried he's not getting the nutrition that he needs. We've recently dropped a feed during the day so worried he'll be hungry...

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!!

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: 6month old stopped eating all but pear after 3 weeks...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:21 am »
Bumping for you :)
Catherine x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 15:27:14 pm »
Hi, my LO is 9 months now but we had a phase of not liking anything but apples and pear!
Milk is still main nutrition at your LO age so I wouldn't worry too much, just ease off for a week and then try again, maybe use highchair to play in with a wooden spoon to bang so it's not a negative food association.

My LO loved mashed broccoli with baby rice and milk as a nice milky sloppy food and we used to put a taste of the sweet stuff on the end of spoon to mask the veggies! My LO hated sweet potato for ages and still now likes one thing one week then not the next!

Hope that helps a bit :-)
Zoe

Offline anxiousanny

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:06 am »
Thanks! Will try not to stress too much. Unfortunately, broccoli hasn't been a hit! Just feels like he should be progressing to lumpier more varied food at 7 months. Will keep trying.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 07:54:41 am »
I didn't start solids till 6 months and by 7 he was still only having purée really! I always try to have something to eat at same time as him and make a big deal of saying mmmm yummy etc and let him touch my food of tip something runny on his tray so he can play with it! Or dip your finger in something and let LO try from your finger.

Give it a week don't beat yourself up and try again, I mashed lots of stuff with formula so it tasted familiar. If it doesn't improve have a word with health visitor or gp to rule anything out.

Take care
Zoe

Offline anxiousanny

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 18:58:30 pm »
Yes, have started eating something out of a bowel when he's eating & I think it helps. Just nervous about the move to lumpier food - don't want to leave it too long but he also gets upset if there are too many! Thanks for your support. Will try to take it easy!!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 20:08:13 pm »
He will get there, these babies like to make us worry a lot! Just stick to purée then make it a bit thicker! Keep me posted on how your getting on :-)
Zoe