Author Topic: Does anyone feed solids at the same time as milk  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Does anyone feed solids at the same time as milk
« on: February 21, 2013, 14:41:57 pm »
My LO has started taking less milk as i don't think she is as hungry due to solids. Today i gave her a bottle then  solids straight after and she seemed more hungry for her next bottle. Is this ok or should i go back to spacing it out more?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Does anyone feed solids at the same time as milk
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 15:20:36 pm »
Hi, my LO had milk then an hour later solids until he turned 8 months ish then he dropped his mid morning bottle. He now has milk when gets up then breaki an hour later, then lunch 11.30-12 ish, milk 1.30 then nap then tea 4.30 ish then milk just before bed.
I personally go with what works for you, as long as LO getting the min required amount of milk I don't worry! Mine changes his mind like the wind on a regular basis :-)
Zoe

Offline Carren_m

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 20:36:03 pm »
Hi, I agree - we've been on solids for 2 months and we started off having solids then milk in the same sitting (as AK suggests) but LO didn't want the milk. Then I swapped and did milk then solids in the same sitting but LO didn't want the solids  ::), so I gave in and did what the HV suggested and did milk on waking and solids an hour or so after.

This has worked really well for us because LO isn't really really hungry when it's time for solids (so we can take our time and enjoy experimenting), but it's long enough after the milk for him to be interested in something else - in addition I can be quite flexible about when he has solids, sometimes it's 30mins after milk (for example if we're going swimming and want a longer stretch before his pm nap), other times it's 1.5hrs (if we have some errands to run).

I'd resisted doing this initially because I thought I'd always be feeding, and that is the case (which can be quite frustrating and I've found we're less mobile again because I need to get a meal in there)! But it's been the best routine for us - I know others were fine with doing both in one sitting, so if that work's that's great - every baby's different so the important thing is that they get enough milk but are also showing some interest in solids.

Hope that helps - I'm by no means an expert though! :-)

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 00:11:16 am »
If her milk intake doesn't drop when you put the solids right after her milk then I wouldn't worry. Every LO is different and things sometimes need to be adjusted to what they need!
-Nadia