Author Topic: underweight 1yr old  (Read 5996 times)

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:54:55 am »
DS2 will be one next week.  He's only 25th percentile for age/weight.  I expected him to be a little on the small side as DH is Indian and in his state the people are generally quite small.  also DS1 is on the small side but as a baby never really went down below about 30th or 25th percentile.  However, DS2 was a good size at birth, 3.6kg full term, so his growth rate has obviously been dropping.  .  He started crawling at 4 months and he suffers badly with phlegm when teething nd sick, which I think may reduce his appetite.  the last year has bee pretty crazy with us emigrating to India, so I didn't notice that he wad small until about two months ago.  Although retrospectively I can see the problem went back at least to 7 months, but maybe longer, but we didn't get him weighed between 4-7 months.  Anyway I started trying ti feed him up and from 9th percentile at 7 months, I git him to 15th percentile at 10 mo and 22nd percentile at 11 mo.  However I just got him weighed two days ago and he's slipped back down ti 15th percentile.  I cant really see any specific cause, he wasn't sick, teething or going through anything else extraordinary in those few weeks, he just stopped eating as much.  I decided it was prob just that he'd become aware that we were eating other stuff and he decided he wasn't happy with his own food anymore!  (I had him on quite a simple diet, fruit, nuts, seeds, lentil, beans and veggies, which clearly was working for a while, until he changed his mind!)

So...I have changed his diet to increase variety and calorie content.  I'm not questioning 'what' to give him, I have some nutrition training, so that's not an issue.  But I do have a couple.if questions.  The first one is that the doctotold me to avoid giving him snacks, just stick to three meals a day.  I can see the logic in this in order to stretch his tummy and also to keep him going over night, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in thus area, I wonder if I could add in one small snack without affecting meals too much.  Or maybe drinks like juice...

Second question...  He seems a little picky in that he will eat a little but if something and then refuse it.  so I've found myself offering up to 8 different things at a meal, just in case he will agree to eat more.  And actually it seems to be working, he might refuse the first two things, but eat the third, then refuse the next two things and eat the fifth, then refuse a couple more but eat a ton of the next thing I offer.  I'm sure it's partly because I'm trying to start with the healthier things or the higher calorie foods rather than what he wants to eat out if choice, but I'm too scared to stop doing this now as it is working to get him eating more!  Am I digging a home for myself by giving so many choices?  Has anyone else been through this?  Will I be able ti change this later or is there some kind of compromise I can make now?

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: underweight 1yr old
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:41:48 am »
Second question...  He seems a little picky in that he will eat a little but if something and then refuse it.  so I've found myself offering up to 8 different things at a meal, just in case he will agree to eat more.  And actually it seems to be working, he might refuse the first two things, but eat the third, then refuse the next two things and eat the fifth, then refuse a couple more but eat a ton of the next thing I offer.  I'm sure it's partly because I'm trying to start with the healthier things or the higher calorie foods rather than what he wants to eat out if choice, but I'm too scared to stop doing this now as it is working to get him eating more!  Am I digging a home for myself by giving so many choices?  Has anyone else been through this?  Will I be able ti change this later or is there some kind of compromise I can make now?

That's what I end up doing some meals too. It's either offer lots of alternatives or have DD not eat because if she isn't in the mood for something, there is no way I can coax her to eat it. Also hoping that she'll either outgrow it or be able to tell me what she wants. Hope I'm not creating a monster though;)

Our case is the same as yours, DD was born in the 50th percentile and from the 5thmo fluctuates between the 15th and 25th.
A lot depends on the doctor. At the 6th mo checkup the Dr we saw freaked out and stressed me out too but since then we have found a lovely lady that make much more sense.
She is fine with DD's weight because her dirty/wet nappies are OK and her physical and mental development are going well too. We do 3x meals, 2x snacks and 3x formula, her metabolism is just a bit faster than other kids. We went in to the Dr about a month ago and she reassured me that as long as she doesn't suddenly drop off the charts weight-wise or stop meeting her milestones, then her weight is nothing to worry about.
We do: WU, formula, breakfast, snack, Nap, formula, lunch, nap, dinner, snack, formula
Some days she'll eat like a horse, other days just pecks so I guess she's one of those kids who monitor food intake on a weekly basis rather than daily.

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 14:25:17 pm »
Interesting, thanks for posting, it's good to know I'm not the only one going through this! 

What do you give for snacks?  (just wondering how much to give)

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 14:29:03 pm »
Is the 15th centile 'underweight'? My GP friend keeps stressing to me that ALL the centiles are normal, as long as they're not fluctuating too much, or a big discrepancy between height and weight. My daughter is 99.6th centile but I don't think she's overweight?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 14:37:04 pm »
Is the 15th centile 'underweight'? My GP friend keeps stressing to me that ALL the centiles are normal, as long as they're not fluctuating too much, or a big discrepancy between height and weight.

I was wondering the same...when we go for vaxes the health nurse now checks the kids BMI, but I told her I didn't even want to know.  If you don't mind me asking OP, how much does he weigh, and did they give you a weight/height percentile? DD2's weight and height separately put her at 50%, but taken together she is up in the 70's.
Heidi

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 15:24:17 pm »
If I can be honest both of my boys have followed similar paths and I have never viewed it as anything other than normal because I could always see that they were developing fine. I don't know what percentiles they started in (7 12 and 8 4 at birth so not small!) but after 4 months their weight plateaus and they have always grown in spurts rather than steady gain. Now I think they are 5th and 10th percentiles for weight and 25th for height and they are fine. We went through picky phases where they ate little but I didn't worry as toddlers are notorious for that.

All that said, to answer one of your questions I think it is fine to offer a mid morning and mid afternoon snack, I stick to fruit and veggies. I know some people take a grazing approach but I want my kids to be sufficiently hungry at mealtimes. I have also noticed that they started eating significantly more at meals by eliminating (for ds2) and limiting (for ds1) their milk consumption, as well as removing almost all carb type foods from their diets (so no cereal, cereal bars, crackers, pasta, and very limited oatmeal, rice, and gluten free bread). When we did this their protein and veggie intake shot through the roof, and I would rather they get their nutrition that way than from carbs which was what they were doing before. I haven't had them weighed and I am sure they are still in lower percentiles but I wouldn't be surprised if they have climbed a few.

I don't offer a huge variety in the hopes they will eat more. We make things they usually like and offer one healthy bedtime snack after dinner in case they didn't eat much, but that is rare.

I used to think my kids were picky but they aren't. And they are small in size I know and always have been but I know that's how they are (I am very small myself).
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 16:45:39 pm »
I don't have much time right now but wanted to say my DS was 9th centile for weight and 25th for height and not considered underweight at all.  Any of the centiles on the chart are totally normal and healthy.  It's also fine to have weight and height on different centile lines so long as they are VERY dramatically different so for example 9th and 25th is fine where as 9th and 90th would be considered as something to look at to see whay they were so different.
My LO has just turned 2yo and is now on 25th for weight and 50th for height, again totally normal.  he recently had a development review and they were very happy with his weight and height.

I give at least two snacks per day, sometimes more.  you don't want snacks to impact on main meals but they only have small tummies so can only fit a certain amount in.  There's no way mine could go without snacks (all healthy).

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:26:15 am »
Thanks for your replies!  I must clarify re my use of the word 'underweight'...that's not a medical assessment, just my own personal assessment!  DS2 was 67th percentile at birth and dropped to 9th percentile by 7 mo.  I managed to get him back up to 22nd percentile at 11mo and at that stage he was 50th percentile for height/weight.  Now he's dropped down to 15th percentile weight/age and 10th percentile height/weight.  Even though he was bigger than DS1 at birth, he's now markedly smaller.  Of course they are different, but in addition to the other factors, I am worried about it and I personally think he is underweight.  I know they grow in spurts but the last spurt wasn't even enough to bring him up that far.  I want to be sure in my own mind that I'm doing everything I can to allow him to gain weight when the next spurt kicks in.

That's a good suggestion to stick to fruit and veg for snacks, might try that.  I don't give cereals much as they are poor choices nutritionally, unless in using them as a vehicle for fats that is.

Thanks, I feel reassured now that I can give snacks. I guess in a few weeks I'll have a better idea of a wider range of foods that he likes so that I can offer those more frequently.

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:31:28 am »
Also, re milk intake, I think he may be taking less the last few days since ive been feeding him up, we're breastfeeding so I'm not sure, but I'm not sure if exchanging breastmilk for solids is a good thing, who knows, hopefully I'm doing the right thing and he'll figure it out!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:01:14 pm »
Can you up his fat intake by adding coconut or olive oils to his foods? Will he eat avocados?

If you saw my boys you'd be shocked at how tiny they are! And like I said they started big too. That is just the curve they follow.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 12:14:47 pm »
I don't give cereals much as they are poor choices nutritionally, unless in using them as a vehicle for fats that is.

Some cereals are actually quite good as a snack. HEre the cereals are often fortified with extra vitamins, and you should be able to get a low sugar option. They can also be interesting and easy to take out and about. Perhaps look in the health food section- or just opt for things that are lower in sugar?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 02:11:07 am »
Yes I'm adding coconut milk and olive oil to his foods.  I'm giving avocados when I can get them but he doesn't seem too keen, I'll keep trying.

My objection to cereals was really to the food group as opposed to the breakfast item, in general they're just not good nutritionally, which is why they're fortified.  I'm trying to make healthy stuff more appealing at the moment, but if that fails I will bear breakfast cereals in mind, many children seem to like them, thanks for the suggestion.

I just don't understand what's going on with DS2, yesterday was a classic example.  We had to go out in the morning, while we were out I fed him some dried fruit/nut mix that I make at home.  He used to love it, but recently went off it, but he ate it happily while we were out, I put it down to him being distracted.then at dinner time we had the usual scenario, he took 4 or 5 bites of some of the foods offered, then DH gave up.  He hadn't eaten much, so I offered scrambled egg and he wolfed down most of it.  When he finished, I didn't bother offering anything else as DH had already offered a ton of stuff and he'd refused it all.  Ten mins later DH and I were snacking and DS decided to partake in the very food he'd refused 20 mins earlier at dinner.  I don't understand at all.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:07:33 am »
I found my kids to be particularly picky around the one year mark. It sounds like you are doing the right things and taking the right approaches. If he is otherwise healthy and doing well I'd try not to worry yet, it might be a phase. Is he teething? Maybe that is affecting his appetite.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 07:16:31 am »
I just don't understand what's going on with DS2, yesterday was a classic example.  We had to go out in the morning, while we were out I fed him some dried fruit/nut mix that I make at home.  He used to love it, but recently went off it, but he ate it happily while we were out, I put it down to him being distracted.then at dinner time we had the usual scenario, he took 4 or 5 bites of some of the foods offered, then DH gave up.  He hadn't eaten much, so I offered scrambled egg and he wolfed down most of it.  When he finished, I didn't bother offering anything else as DH had already offered a ton of stuff and he'd refused it all.  Ten mins later DH and I were snacking and DS decided to partake in the very food he'd refused 20 mins earlier at dinner.  I don't understand at all.

That's identical to DD!
 I'll be cooking us a whole meal that she'd like too and she takes two bites and starts throwing the rest on the floor. Then I try another thing with the same results and another. So I figure she's done. DH comes along, gives her the same thing we started with and suddenly she's like "yuuuumy, give me more!".
Scrambled her an egg for dinner, she spat it out and made a "yuck" face, the next day she ate most of DH's scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 13:05:03 pm »
I don't think he's teething, i'm sure it's going to start again soon but not yet.  and this fussiness with food has been going on a month, he certainly hasn't been teething for the last month.

wow, i'm sorry to hear you're having the same trouble as me, but i'm relieved because it makes me hopeful it's just a phase or something!  i'm just coming to realise that Ds1 was so easy, he just ate everything that was put in front of him for the first 2.5 years without question!