Author Topic: Reaction to Nutramagen but not to Allimentum  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Reaction to Nutramagen but not to Allimentum
« on: February 21, 2013, 16:04:17 pm »
We switched from EBF to Allimentum the first week in Feb.  I had done the TED and was getting intermitant positive and negative occult blood test results.  We were advised to put her on Nutramagen but asked to use allimentum instead (DH has a corn sensitivity and I know from these boards that the Allimentum RTF is the only one that's corn free). 

We are doing okay with Allimentum but I'm not sure it's the answer (reflux seems to be getting worse - already on the max does of zantac).  She doesn't feed well (takes over an hour to try to get her to finish a bottle).  I asked to try the Nutramagen because it already has a probiotic.  After less than 24 hours on the Nutramagen she was vomitting, red cheeks, rash on hand, red pimples on her back and in the diaper area, very irritable.  Back to Allimentum we went.

I get these are made by different manufacturer's and the content is differnt, but you'd think she could tolerate either HAF.  I have asked to try the amino acid formula to see if we get that type of reaction (mostly to see if this is a corn issue) but I'm getting resistance.

Anyone find their LO reacted to one HAF and not the other?

The kicker here is if we would have taken their advice and started with Nutramagen, we would be on AA formula now anyway. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Reaction to Nutramagen but not to Allimentum
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 18:12:00 pm »
Moving this post over to Formula Feeding board for you x

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 00:00:56 am »
I haven't personally had this one as we didn't need HAF, but I have certainly heard that LOs can react to Nutramigen and not Alimentum before.  Could be the corn or it could just be the balance of proteins/oils etc..

If LO did well in terms of reactions on the Alim - I would stick with it.  As for the reflux issues, that sounds like you need to trial a PPI like Losec...

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 19:17:24 pm »
So we were given the neocate to try.  We gave her 5 ounces (at two different feedings) and decided not to keep going.  We noticed more of those red bumps in the diaper area.  It's not worth feeding her more of it.

We're using the Ali RTF and she drinks that just fine (not really refusing feeds).  But with the feeding...I also noticed her zantac had become cloudy.  I think the syringes weren't dry enough and water was introduced into her meds.  I've since had her medication replaced.  So I'm not sure if the eating refusal was the powdered allimentum or due to the cloudy zantac.

I do think we need to ask about a PPI.  I know our Pediatrician agreed to put us on prevacid (solutab or the adult capsule with the granules).  I just wish I didn't get resistance from the nurse at the ped GI.  Sucks having to see which doctor will help with treatment.

The only way we are getting sleep all night is holding her more uprights in our arms.  She starts in her crib but ends up propped up on one of us.  I'm exhauseted from her constant squirming.  Last night she woke 3 hours after a 9oz bottle.  She's looking for a pacifier (she had found her thumb...but that wasn't enough to do the trick I guess). 

Anyway....after some internet searching, seems like there are other folks whose kids reacted to the nutramagen.  Seems like that's the first HAF recommended.  If a LO reacts to that, the next step is to recommend an amino acid based formula.  If I didn't ask to start with the similac HAF, we'd be on neocate! 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 22:31:33 pm »
So we were given the neocate to try.  We gave her 5 ounces (at two different feedings) and decided not to keep going.  We noticed more of those red bumps in the diaper area.  It's not worth feeding her more of it.

It does take a couple of weeks to know for sure if a new formula is going to cause an issue as the old will take this long to come out of her system.

That said, if she does will on Alim RTF, go with that for sure.  And yes, I would request the doc trial a PPI hun.