Author Topic: 11 m old not eating. Please help  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:46 am »
Hi, not really sure if this is the correct place to post- but, it's to do with solids!!!
  For a week now, my nearly 11 m old hasn't been eating. She will maybe take 2/3 mouthfuls at each sitting- that's all. She is usually a great eater and has a main dish & dessert at b'fast, lunch & dinner, and a couple of snacks throughout the day. However this week it's just bottles she wants. She has even refused her favourites- egg, Cheerios & yoghurt. Her poos are iffy- so she is teething, but I'm slightly worried as it has been 7 days? I also think she is having too much milk so I need advice on how to cut down please!!
 Her day goes like this

6am- bottle 6oz (back to bed)
8am- solids
11am bottle 7oz
1pm solids
3pm milk 7oz
5pm solids
7:30milk 7oz
10pm milk 7oz DF

I think it's too much milk? Although up until this week she ate all her meals & still drank all this milk!!!!And I also want to get rid of DF? What do you guys think? 
Many thanks

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: 11 m old not eating. Please help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:19 am »
Bumping for you.

Teething can have such an impact on eating so it sounds like it is down to that.
Catherine x

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 11 m old not eating. Please help
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:04 pm »
The going off food definitely sounds like teething or a bug.  We've had a few weeks like this - it really stressed me out to begin with but actually although DD lost some weight, she piled it back on once she was feeling better.  I tried not to worry and if she refused or ate little of her normal food, I'd make sure she had cheese, yoghurt, raisins etc (all things she loved) which would normally tempt her to eat a bit. 

You're probably right that you will need to start thinking about cutting down her milk intake, as you want to be giving a maximum of a pint (20oz) from a year including milk on cereal, in sauces etc.  More than that can cause nutritional problems e.g. Iron deficiency as LO fills up on milk and doesn't get enough nutrients from solids.  I would probably drop the DF first.  Since you're bottle feeding that should be relatively straight forward - usually just decrease by an oz every couple of days if you want to do it gradually. 

I might wait until she's over the teething first, then next work on dropping one of your middle of the day bottles.  Again it might be worth doing an oz less every couple of days on the mid morning bottle, and gradually bringing your mid afternoon bottle a little earlier so eventually you end up with bottles at WU, lunchtime ish and BT.  How does that sound?

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 15:56:10 pm »
Thanks Ladies. Jess mum- thanks again- you helped me out a few weeks ago with the sleep problem too!! I think you're both right. I cut today's bottles by an oz each to 6- and the dream feed will be cut again in 2/3 days. Wee monkey certainly keeps me on my toes eh? I think the df is the first to go, definitely, then over the next month or two work on dropping a day bottle? Thank you- I'll keep you posted! On the sleep front- she is happy being pinned into her snoozzz wrap.... For now!!! Xx