Author Topic: What did your 1-3 year old enjoy doing today?  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: What did your 1-3 year old enjoy doing today?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 13:29:57 pm »
Well the playdough creatures were a massive hit to say the least. We sat at the kitchen table and DP and I sat with DD at first making models. Then we kept getting up and pottering about then coming back and DD sat there busy for an hour and a half!!! I was amazed. We used googly eyes, plastic jewels, pipe cleaners and coloured Lilly sticks. She made 2 spiders, a fish, a beetle, a butterfly and a ladybird. They were really good and it was great fun, especially putting the sparkly jewels on for decorations! When we has tidied up DD said "we have had so much fun doing that haven't we mummy?" Bless her she loved it. Thanks for the idea.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 20:03:15 pm »
I was cleaning out the pantry cupboard and got a load of out of date rice/dried pulses etc (I know they would still keep) and emptied them into a big pan and put it on the floor. Gave Audrey a few utensils (a small scoop, a mini balloon whisk, a pastry brush) and a little bowl and she was kept busy for 20 mins scooping, pouring etc. There was a lot of mess but it took all of 3 mins to vacuum it up quickly. I put most of the grains in a tupperware tub to play with again next time.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 20:19:50 pm »
Play doh aliens here.  He loved it for a while before turning it into a pour and dump game with the googly eyes instead.  Which then led to a big bowl, couple of smaller tubs and a plastic bottle with a load of popping corn (not cooked) for pouring practice.
Skittles with toilet roll tubes again today.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 22:39:44 pm »
Megan enjoyed washing rice  ::) ::). Glass bowl, water and rice. Stuck hands in and messed about with it, then we poured away the starch water and repeated again.

She enjoyed it, although the aim was to wash the rice for dinner really  ;), and to allow her to help when there wasn't really any jobs for her to do. Kept asking 'what is Megan playing with?'. Simple sensory stuff basically... But she did like it  :P.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:06 am »
Rice sounds fun - I'm going to do that next time we have rice for dinner!

Ev is currently sticking pieces of cut up paper and small pompoms onto sticky back plastic that I sellotaped to the easel (works just as well on the back of a door though).  I'm planning on drawing a simple scene (ocean/jungle or something) underneath it tomorrow, and giving her some fish or animal shapes to stick on top. 
Claire x

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 22:20:43 pm »
My boys enjoyed playing with shaving foam with pans and spoons.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 21:36:04 pm »
Pond dipping!! Or rather, 'stream dipping' in a very shallow stream. Wellies on, fishing net, a plastic container and magnifying glass = lots of fun  :D!  Only downside was that the "cuuute" (Ev's description) little creature that we held on a pebble for ages actually turned out to be a leech  :-X :-X.  I was fine until I googled it when we got home and then felt grossed out!
Claire x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 22:36:27 pm »
Over the past couple of weeks we've done a series of postal activites.
Made a post box from a recycled cardboard box, I did the cutting out of the slot and made a door in the back, we painted it together.
Used alphabet stencils to pick out the right letters then drawn them onto another card for 'collection days and times' and stuck in on the front.
This led to a flurry of letter writing (scribbling and using stickers), card writing, writing envelopes, putting stickers on for stamps and posting the letters...then collecting them and handing them out to people.

Then another day I cut another box up so it stood up on it's own and had a service hatch or widow to look through and called it the post office. We didn't even get to paint it yet because he was so excited to play post offices that we just dove right in.  With the service hatch set up on his little table I provided a couple of tubs for in and out trays, pens, stickers, post it notes, a bunch of small pieces of coloured paper and various sized envelopes etc and we took it in turns to put on funny accents and role play customers coming to buy stamps etc.  If I asked for 14 stamps he had to stick 14 stickers onto a piece of paper to give to me, then write out a receipt for the transaction.  Then I remembered I had a date stamper and ink pad so that was added and he just loved stamping it over and over all officially :)
I'm going to save up any application forms or return forms from junk mail to add to it so he has boxes and forms to fill in too.

My heart melted when one morning we had just got up, he dashed to his table 'wrote' a letter with scribbles and stickers, i could see how precise he was trying to be in where they went even though the end result looked haphazard and just random, a lot of care went into it.  Then the envelope, then folding the paper so it would fit in the envelope and eventually he presented it to me, 'letter for mummy'.  I asked him what it said, 'I love you'  ;D

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 22:03:48 pm »
It's been really hot and dry he, then all of a sudden we had rain rain rain. So our front lawn has mushrooms all over it. Z is LOVING them, he collects them, smells them, counts them. Looks for small ones et . It's provided him with over an hour of fun!

Love how toddlers enjoy the simplest of things.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.