Author Topic: 2 year old just wanting milk  (Read 2141 times)

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:50 am »
Dd is normally a great eater but for some time now she has been mainly wanting milk. At first I thought it was teeth, then maybe cos she was a bit off colour, and then cos it has been so hot and she is probably just thirsty etc etc.. But it has been going on now for at least a month and she just seems to want more and more milk and not so bothered about food. She hasn't had breakfast for weeks, she will eat abot 2 bites then that's it. I have made muffins, pancakes, breakfast bars... Still nothing, she just won't have it. It is 10.30am here and so far she has had one bite of breakfast bar and 3 cups of milk, she is currently asking for more milk  :-\. She isn't eating much lunch or tea either. I'm really not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 2 year old just wanting milk
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:54:35 am »
With hot weather I want to drink more, but I think if she has had 3 cups of milk then she really can't get a balance of nutrients in a day. My thought would be to get a container & work out a reasonable amount of milk for the day, measure it up & tell her that is "her milk"... even do it for every member of the family (a bit more work yes, but kind of gets the point) & once she has drunk all the milk she needs to drink water & if she is hungry she needs to eat food (non dairy food). If I remember correctly about 600ml of dairy (milk and equivalent) & so limiting her to that in a day with maybe some cheese & yogurt, would put you in a good place calcuim wise. Then if she is hungry/thirsty she has to pick from other options. So if she has already had 3 cups then depending on the volume, maybe 1 more & that is it for the day.

At around 2yo my boys always wanted juice & so I made up a small jug with dilute juice in it & when it was finished they could only have water or milk... had a few interesting days, but after that the rule sunk in.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:09 am »
I like that idea kate! Makes a lot more sense if she can SEE it and SEE that the milk is 'all gone'.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »
Jazz, maybe when it started it was when teeth were moving (we have molars moving now and DS does eat less then he used to), but then it kinda stuck, yk? Who doesn't like their milk?
When we lived in Israel, but also here as a matter of fact, DS only has one bottle of milk before bed, but the rest of the day he drinks water and only that. Sometimes he asks for tea and then I give her fruit tea without sugar in his bottle and he loves it.
Can she say already water or tea or has a sign for it? Maybe she can't communicate "drink" rather than "milk"?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:25:44 pm »
Who doesn't like their milk?

Ew!! Me! Hate the stuff! :P ;D
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
Thanks Kate. Yeh I guess I just needed someone to tell me that she should be having less milk and more food.... As if I didn't know already ::) i think it is probably to do with the weather, she must wake up really thirsty as it is sooooooo hot in our bedrooms, like 32 degrees :P She has water in bed but still.. And then I guess she fills up on the milk hence isn't hungry enough to eat. Maybe I should cut it altogether and just leave it for bedtime?

Ima posted at the same time.. Oh she can communicate perfectly well, she totally knows the difference between milk, water, juice (well we dont have juice in the house but..). I never thought of giving fruit tea, i guess i could give it in a sippy. She does drink water happily though. So yeh, maybe just the cup of milk before bed then?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 19:47:42 pm »
I'll have a dig around too i think i read SOMEWHERE about that milk is much higher in sugars than other dairy or something... so although it's a great source of nutrition and great for little people to drink- you want to keep it in moderation.. can't find the link... i'll have a google around though...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:50:07 am »
hey, could you measure out 3 beakers of milk and keep them in the fridge, so its split into 3 portions allowing you to hold one back for bedtime?
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:55 am »
Thanks for the ideas, I have actually just told her that she can't have milk, just water, and bless her she has totally accepted it.. Must be my tone of voice, she realises I mean business! Have cut it to one in the morning with breakfast and one before bed. She is eating a bit more so I'm happy about that. I think we just slipped into a little habit there... Thanks again all x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
Sometimes even with just hamish about it sort of takes till the 10th time you do something that you realise that you've developed a habit! I can imagine with the 3 that you would just go into auto pilot when she asked for milk- what's the harm in a cup of milk after all! By then you feel like you are giving mixed signals when you then lay down the law! Glad it worked out well!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »
Yeh exactly Katy, Anything to keep em quiet sometimes :P

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby