Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 1762 times)

scucci1979

Need advice
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »
Last week I transitioned Alyssa from a bottle to a Nuby sippy cup. She was doing well and then she began to refuse to have her milk in that sippy cup. She cried and cried. Today we plan to go to the store for her to chose another one.
Any advice on how to help her transition from bottle to sippy cup?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 16:54:42 pm »
Get her to choose a new cup and then throw the bottles out so she doesn't have a choice! Really with toddlers (Kara will need to move this to eating for toddlers too!) I've never found a way to transition gradually, you just need to do it. If she thinks there is an option and you will give it to her she will keep protesting until you do.

She may not drink so much but at this age she doesn't need milk for nutrients like a baby so if she is getting calcium from food and other fluids it's fine. If she enjoys the milk she will drink when she knows there is no other option.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 22:06:39 pm »
Will shuffle you to the toddler eating section ;)

Totally agree with Laura hun.. get rid of the bottles and stick to it... I do have a fancy $15 Minnie Mouse sippy for DD but honestly, after a week or so, she realized bottles were gone and she will use any sippy now.. before, no way!  I just dropped bottles about a month ago...

scucci1979

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:13 am »
Will do.
thanks

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:19:50 am »
When we transitioned our little one we tried sippy cups, we bought 500 million different types. We even let her pick out her own, nothing ever worked. We ended up trying one of the ones with a straw in it. She took to it right away and as time past we introduced the sippy cups again. She uses anything now: cups and straws! A few people I've talked to have had the same problem. If the sippys don't work, I definitely recommend to try a straw one =)
Good luck!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 16:03:31 pm »
^^  Straw sippy cups are the way to go with any BF bubs too ;)