Author Topic: what age to start arty/craft activities?  (Read 5598 times)

Offline eidos

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:40:49 am »
Hi all,

I was wondering what sort of age is appropriate to start introducing art/crafty activities (ie. when E isn't going to try and eat the paint!). She's just over 8 months now and I'm quite looking forward to when we can have some crafty type fun. :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: what age to start arty/craft activities?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:16 am »
If you're ok with some mess it's fine to start right now.  If you are worried about her eating paint you can 'paint' with something edible; tomato soup, mayo, home made paints like aspargus or pea soup is very green, beetroot or red cabbage (whizz to a paste or add some cornflour to the cooking water to thicken into a gloop, but be warned beetroot will stain!)...
try a range of sponges, paint brushes to paint with and just fingers, hand prints, foot prints.  Paint on paper, or a large baking sheet or the kitchen floor if it's washable.  Even putting a layer of 'paint' into a tray and letting LO glide their fingers through to make marks is a great beginning for mark making (eventually leading to drawing and writing).
You can make a fabulous gloop with cornflour and water, it's almost magical, forms to a a hard surface until you start scratching and scraping into it when it turns totally liquid, then hardens again, all in seconds.
Home made play doh is edible (but doesn't taste nice) and non toxic too, or make some bread dough to manipulate.
All these things inspire creativity and exploration in your LO teaches them about the world and builds up the motor muscles.
it's not too young to start with some crayons either but very closely supervised because if they break and if your LO puts everything in her mouth then there is a choke risk.  Marker pens (careful with lids) are great for instant mark making because they don't require a lot of pressure or strength, get washable or supervise closely to save your furniture and walls!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:37:16 am »
Sorry for gate crashing, my LO is still a wee bit young yet but i can't wait to get started so just following along if you don't mind  :D

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:02 pm »
Me too!  Great ideas :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 13:48:34 pm »
my LO is still a wee bit young yet
I honestly don't think so.  Sure the activity may not last super long but I bet she would like to 'draw' and 'paint' with her solid foods!  many times mums get frustrated by the mess of weaning, but see it as an arts and crafts activity and the mess is anticipated.
I didn't really have a good idea of edible paints when my LO was 6 and 7 months old but we did tom ketchup hand prints, foots prints and finger painting.  ketchup isn't so great if they start eating it because of the salt and sugar etc although really how much are they going to eat?  Even tom puree mixed with water is a good paint for the high chair tray just to mess around with making marks.
In fact, I just realised my 2yo would love a whole tube of tom puree to squeeze and paint with and generally make a mess and explore.  For really messy stuff I shut the kitchen gate so he can't do a runner and just expect the kitchen floor (and cupboard doors) to get messy.  It doesn't take too long to wipe it up though.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 14:30:46 pm »
I remember that at about 18 months,I offerred dd stickers for the first time and she was HOOKED!  I'd say that was the time we really started getting creative in earnest...painting with water books were so fun....finger painting, gluing shapes to paper.....and it has never stopped!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 22:08:08 pm »
We tried bits and bobs when both kids were young, but really I would say about 18 mths before they got into it. Drawing etc they just got fed up with before that as all they can do is a very feint dot or line. Once they can press harder and scribble a bit it is more fun. DS loved stickers from about 18 mths as well, DD a bit older really. DD got into making hand prints in a BIG way when she was about 18 mths - even now every single painting session ends in handprints  ::) ::).

Play dough is good from pretty early on as long as you are playing as well.

Water play/ sand play was more of a hit before then, and still is really  :).

Some kids love messy play - others don't - my DS isn't that keen - DD usually loves it once she gets into it. I do a fair bit of messy play in the bath and they let them clean it all up themselves afterwards  ;) ;D.

Don't forget that there is a ton of sensory play they can get into before proper arts and crafts - pouring and scooping lentils etc.

Both my kids stopped mouthing things by about 12 mths, and then you can pretty much do whatever!!