Author Topic: 10 months old refused puree  (Read 7250 times)

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 10 months old refused puree
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 19:54:02 pm »
We tried pancake today and DD loves it.  I also put some cream cheese on it.   

Tried to cut veg & meat into small pieces and put them in ice cube tray for her to pick up.  However, she is not interested at all and just want to play with the tray.  :(

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 20:14:02 pm »
Tried to cut veg & meat into small pieces and put them in ice cube tray for her to pick up.  However, she is not interested at all and just want to play with the tray.  :(
Is this a daft question - if so excuse me! - but have you tried just small pieces and no tray?  My DD loves peas and corn, I think it's the colours. She loves picking them up. 

Great about the pancake.  Have you tried eggy bread/french toast?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »
have you tried just small pieces and no tray?
Yes, I did.  I tried both with a tray and without a tray.  DD loves peas too and she picks them.  I tried baby corns before and she wasn't interested.  I cut chicken, green beans, carrots and baby corns into small pieces yesterday, she wasn't interested.  I thought that's a good variety of food and colour.

Have you tried eggy bread/french toast?
Haven't tried eggy bread yet. DD loves toast and bread.  My concern is how to get veg and meat into her as she has no problems to eat carbohydrates.

Offline weaver

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »
I look at eggy bread as a sneaky way of getting lots of egg in but I have two toast monsters so I know what you mean!

I've had good luck with corn kernels, haven't tried baby corns.  Also baked beans!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline weaver

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 13:12:37 pm »
It just occurs to me that the classic BLW thing is to cut everything into chip shapes, so plenty of space for grabbing and chomping. Could it be that she isn't all that interested in small bits?  Just a thought.

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 20:54:15 pm »
She doesn't seem to mind small bits as she happily picks up peas, cheerios, cheese cubes & raisins.

I have tried to cut carrots, cucumbers and peppers into sticks in the past.  Will give them a go again. I am trying new things almost every day and hope one day we will get it right.  It's very frustrating.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 04:56:04 am »
I suggest cutting cucumber etc into small cubes.  Sometimes it's the shape which puts them off!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:03 am »
agree - my DD will not touch a strip of red/yellow/orange pepper but will eat loads of them bite-sized :)

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 10:42:26 am »
My DD currently has a tendency of grabbing her food in hand and tried to squeeze them into small pieces, then throw it to the floor.   Is it a normal behaviour?

Thanks for all the advices. Really appreciated it.  I will keep trying..

Offline weaver

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:28 am »
My DD currently has a tendency of grabbing her food in hand and tried to squeeze them into small pieces, then throw it to the floor.   Is it a normal behaviour?
Yes,  'squeeze with an expression of great glee then hang over the side of the high-chair to look at them on the floor' is my DD's usual trick. 

She had great fun with cous-cous yesterday.  Throwing it like confetti.  Also eating some of it... ;)

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 13:50:40 pm »
Yup, that's exactly what my DD does.  :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 03:50:30 am »
It still happens here at 2.5 yrs of age ;)

Life is much easier if you accept that they will play with food for a few years - this is one that goes in the "adults don't often play..... [fill in the blank]" category...

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 14:23:21 pm »
Yes,  'squeeze with an expression of great glee then hang over the side of the high-chair to look at them on the floor' is my DD's usual trick.
This drives me absolutely bonkers!  I know it's completely normal, but I actually despise it.  It's probably because I go through SO much effort to make him a good meal, and he throws half of it on the floor.  The dogs however think this is just fantastic LOL :P  I swear they've gained 5lbs each since Ben started eating solid food.  Beside the high chair also happens to be the dirtiest place in my house.  Oh, and how about throwing the sippy cup overboard and having his milk dribble out the spout.  This the dogs don't find nearly as amusing because they've gotten clocked in the head a few times  :-\

Offline rachelgz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 18:40:43 pm »
DD threw her cup today and milk ended up on our carpet!

I feel frustrated that we are wasting so much food as I put effort and time to prepare the food.  If she throw half away and eating the other half, I think it's not too bad.  However, at the moment, DD doesn't put food into her mouth except the ones that she normally eats.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 18:52:27 pm »
With the eggy bread/french toast...after you cook it in the pan, you can then try popping it into the toaster or toaster oven to make it crispier and more lke the much loved toast that she is used to. I use really hearty wheat bread with 4 grams of fiber per slice....I can get one slice to soak up almost the whole egg. I toss in a dash of vanilla and cinnamon too.  :)

Have you ever tried a baby-safe feeder? I know she is a year old, and they are aimed at younger los.....but I am wondering if she'd fancy that....she can suck all the juice out of fruits, but not have to deal as much with the texture. If she likes it, then take the top off, and let her figure out how to get the pieces out all on her own. 
 http://www.babysafefeeder.com/

Always look at what she WIL eat, and try to expand along similar lines. Toast is similar to waffles, kwim? If she likes pasta, maybe ravioli or tortellini would go over well?
And no matter what, just keep offering, offering, offering. Just seeing it is good for her. Just touching it is good for her. A child wil never eat what they won't touch....so any experimentation is a step in the right direction!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:35:25 am by Amelia1227 »