Author Topic: weaning night feedings  (Read 1737 times)

Offline tlmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 04, 2013, 14:29:34 pm »
Hi, my LO is 3 months and I've been trying to wean him off his 1 night feeding. He wakes up around 3:30 am every night and I would give him the paci to go back to sleep but he wakes up every hour after that. I do feed him extra ounces in the day just like the book says but it's not working because he wakes up the same time every night. How long does it take for him to stop waking up?

I am also worried that since he's been waking up every hour that he might get use to waking up like that every night. I always put him back to sleep right away but sometimes it'll take an hour for him to go back to sleep versus feeding him and he'll sleep right away and won't wake up after 2-3 hours til it's morning.

Please help! Thank you.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: weaning night feedings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 14:31:37 pm »
Honestly, he's probably still hungry if he's waking up every hour after that until you feed him. Why is it you want to wean him at only 3months?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 14:44:45 pm »
I agree with PP - he's too little to wean the nightfeeds yet, if he won't settle he's hungry and needs a feed! Many babies need a nightfeed until they are on solids, only having 1 nightfeed at 3 months is great. There is a big growth spurt at 3 months so he will need extra calories too.

When he wakes at night, if it's been at least 3 hours since his last feed it's better to assume it's hunger, feed him and get him back to sleep ASAP. If he doesn't wake for a feed then that's fine, but if he wakes feed him!

Laura

Offline tlmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 14:53:19 pm »
My pediatrician told me that as long as he 's eating enough in the day then he doesn't need the night feeding. I also read that if they are 13 lbs then they should not be eating at night as well.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 15:36:18 pm »
How much is he eating during the day hun? Weight has nothing to do with hunger so I wouldnt go by that. My LO is 9 months and I was just able to wean the last NF (granted he could have weaned around 8 months). 3 months is really early to wean, that is not to say it doesnt happen as it certainly does. But if your LO wakes often after resettling but doesnt after feeding then he's probably hungry. As long as it doesnt affect your am feed then he's hungry. Have you tried a DF?

**Siobhan**

Offline tlmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 16:03:39 pm »
thank you for your response.

he's on a 3 hour routine drinking 4-5 ounces each feed. i am also still cluster feeding before bedtime. i also add ounces to each feed because i am trying to take out that 3:30 am feeding.  i've tried dream feed and it doesn't work with him. plus, he's such a light sleeper that i am scared to dream feed him.

i've been reading and saw that i should stop cluster feeding already and will stop that tonight.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 16:44:18 pm »
I didn't do the dream feed either it never worked for us. But honestly I think he's hungry. If he's on 5 bottles at say 5oz that's only 25oz and low for what most lo's need. If you aren't DF then that Early morning feed is most likely hunger given the behavior. I think you should stick with it as you are coming up on a big growth spurt and he is going to want more anyhow. This is very normal and honestly surprised your doctor so would tell you otherwise. This is just my opinion though do what you think is right.

**Siobhan**

Offline tlmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 17:06:11 pm »
thank you. i am going to rethink my approach. :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 17:24:33 pm »
As a rough guide a baby needs 2-2.5oz per lb of body weight in 24 hours so a 13 lb baby will need 26-32oz in 24 hours. That guide is a rough guide but you can see your LO isn't getting a big amount of formula in the day.

My DD was 13lb by 8 weeks and we finally dropped the night feed at 8 months - she didn't have a DF. Think of it this way, a bigger baby needs more calories to maintain their body weight and grow than a smaller baby does! Babies are very good at regulating their intake, if he is ready to drop the nightfeed he will do it by himself, if he doesn't you can wean it after he is established on solids at around 7/8 months or so.

Laura

Offline tlmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 17:25:21 pm »
Thanks Laura. :)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 19:58:09 pm »