Author Topic: Dropping a bottle & dropping DF... Help!!!  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dropping a bottle & dropping DF... Help!!!
« on: March 04, 2013, 22:52:52 pm »
Hi,
   we're currently dropping DF (gradually dropping an oz every3 days) & doing ok. However- lo is still waking between 5-6am. I have got into a habit of feeding her :( & she then sleeps until 7-7:30.
   My question is, do I get rid of the DF first, then use the same technique for the 5am feed?!!!
Also- we are still on 4 bottles a day as lo has two daytime naps (& needs them!) but shouldn't we really be on 3? 
  Lo is 11 months & loves her milk too much!! She is teething at the mo- so solid intake has lowered, but she is usually a good 3 meal/2dessert a day girl!

I'm just a bit confused by it all. I'm going to try not to feed her at 5 am tonight.....see what happens?
Average day now is
7:15 wake & bottle
8:30 solids
10:30 bottle & nap
12:30 solids
3:30 bottle & nap
5:00 solids
7:15 bottle & bed

This varies from day to day by 15 mins or so. She will sleep in car/pram & always goes to her cot awake & self soothes.

Any advice gladly appreciated!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Dropping a bottle & dropping DF... Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:15:33 am »
I would almost think her 5am wakeup is because she is getting a LOT of sleep and may be a little UT.. the nice warm bubba makes her all cozy and she drifts back off to sleep...

Most LOs this age are maxed at 3 hrs a day and 11 hrs at night... you could try pushing BT out a bit (maybe 15-30 mins) to see if she sleeps more soundly...

Of course, if you think she really does need that sleep, leave it and resettle the 5am without a feed.  I would go ahead and drop the DF fairly quickly as well, since it's normally phased out around 7-8 months.

We do really need to work towards capping her milk as she is almost a year.  Once baby is a year old, milk becomes a drink, not a food source...

And yes, moving to 3 bottles would bring solids intake up considerably.  Most (if not all LOs) are on 3 per day by around 8-9 months.  One at wakeup, one before PM nap and one at bedtime - all around 7-8 ozs.

Hope this helps :)

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:23 am »
Thank you!
  LO gets a max of 3 hours a day nap time- but she would have more if we let her!! There are days where she only sleeps 2hours on those days- she is still up at 5/5:30!!
  She is in her cot by 7:30/7:40 after bedtime routine- most nights we couldn't go any later!
The dream feed is being dropped gradually- & I cannot wait for that to stop!!!
  I will attempt to just resettle again tonight. Many thanks for the help- I'll keep you posted! Xx

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:05 am »
I can assure you the DF isn't nutritionally needed.. I would be tempted to just not offer it and see what happens :)

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 20:32:42 pm »
Thanks Kara.
   Today we had a bottle first thing, 2 oz in a sippy cup before am nap & a bottle before pm nap & bed. So, we're getting there!
   She has just started two days at a childminder as I'm back at work & she only sleeps an hour max there- so she was soooo o/t tonight it was awful. My aim for the days she's home is

7am bottle
8am solids
10:30 hour nap
2:30 bottle & bed
4:00 up
5:00 solids
7/7:30 bottle & bed
 Something like that anyway, what do you think?
Thanks so much for helping xx

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 00:07:19 am »
^^ Looks good to me hun!  It's not uncommon for naps to go haywire when starting daycare... give her a week or so and put her to bed as early as you can during the week to catch her up. 

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 13:18:46 pm »
Hi, just to let you know that we did the 'dropping an oz' every few nights for the DF- last night was the second night of 3oz & she flatly refused it & slept all night!!!
   Should I offer tonight or hope for the best? We're also doing 3 bottles & the odd day we have an oz or 2 in a sippy cup!!!
Thank you!!😃🙏

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 15:31:23 pm »
I wouldn't offer :)