Author Topic: Weaning at 13 months  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • 10 Years in the making...
Weaning at 13 months
« on: March 06, 2013, 18:49:16 pm »
Hoping someone can help or at least have gone through similar. My second DD is coming up to 13 months. I have been exclusively breastfeeding her throughout this time. She does take water from a sippy cup with meals. She is BF in the morning around 6.30amish at 1.30pm before her second nap and at 7pm ish before bed. I would like to start weaning her onto cow's milk now. I had planned to replace the 1.30pm first with cow's milk in her sippy but she just looks at me and spits it out. Is it just a matter of being very patient, afterall I guess she's never had milk except from mum? Not quite sure what to do now except for keep offering it. I was hoping to have her completely weaned by 18 months. Any advise would be gratefully received. 

Offline mycatmonet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Weaning at 13 months
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 20:10:50 pm »
my dd also spat cows milk out when she first had it. Slowly she got used to it, and progressed to drinking small amounts like 1/5 of the sippy etc. Now she'll drink a whole sippy of her 'moo' and loves it. I'd just keep offering, and see how she goes.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 20:58:40 pm »
If you LO is getting plenty of dairy in other forms (cheese, yoghurt etc), it's not vital for her to be drinking cow's milk.  We just didn't offer it while DD was still BF and allowed her to decide to stop.  She asked one day to try some of DS's milk and we gave her a little of her own and she's been happy drinking it since.  I believe the taste is quite different to breastmilk, so there could be some element of that.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 00:15:20 am »
If you LO is getting plenty of dairy in other forms (cheese, yoghurt etc), it's not vital for her to be drinking cow's milk.
^^^^this

And if she's not a fan of dairy, you can still work with that as well -- babies with dairy allergies do just fine without it -- you just have to make sure she's getting enough protein, fat, calcium, etc.

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 00:25:08 am »
Thank you Mycatmonet and Fiver...gives me a little hope  :)

Unfortunately she seems to hate cheese, unlike my other dd who would live on cheese! She does like yoghurt though.
Fiver, what age was she when she decided to stop? I love BF but I just don't want to be still doing it when she is starting preschool  :'(
Some people have told me just not to offer BF at all and keep giving her the sippy of milk instead. 1) I think that is too harsh. 2) I wouldn't want my milk supply to dwindle in the meantime. 3) her sister had a milk allergy, until she grew out of it finally at 15 months, and so I wanted to take it slowly with her just incase. She showed the same symptoms when she was a newborn so I started eating a dairy free diet. I was told by the allergist to introduce yoghurt first, then cheese and finally milk. Can't quite get the milk though to see.

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 00:32:22 am »
Thanks Erin

Not sure if it's the taste she doesn't like or whether it's just because it's new. I did think of trying her on soy milk just to try something different. She's only ever had BM from me and never a bottle or sippy, and water. Thankfully DD1 outgrew the milk allergy. Fingers crossed DD2 doesn't have the allergy. I guess there are plenty of alternatives out there.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 11:33:12 am »
My DD stopped at about 25m, so a bit older than yours, but before preschool :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 13:45:15 pm »
Wow...that is really awesome ;D

If you can remember that far back to when your DD was 13 months old how often were you offering her BF's. It's just that I've just stopped BF with the morning and afternoon snacks as she wasn't taking much so now she has a sippy with water. She doesn't take much of that either. Now she's only getting 3 BF's I worry that that isn't enough until she will take cow's milk from her sippy. We've been going through a series of 5.30am wakings and I'm wondering if the two are connected. Thanks.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 16:33:11 pm »
I think at 13m she was having a WU feed, something either in the morning or afternoon and then BT feed.  I might be wrong, but I think that was about when the NFs stopped as well, so it was 2-3 BFs per day.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 18:45:52 pm »
Thanks so much. I think I'm on the right track then.

DD actually tried a few sips of cow's milk after her lunch but then preceded to throw up not long after. Just hoping she's not allergic too like DD1  :'( I'll have another try tomorrow...fingers crossed.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 22:01:54 pm »
Good luck
*** Amanda ***

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 15:57:28 pm »
Well, I've been trying for a while now and she still refuses cow's milk. Strange as she has it in her cereal in the morning! Does anyone know how much dairy products a day a 14 month old should be having if she was weaned? She was a brilliant solid food eater when she was little but has turned into the fussiest eater ever now. She won't touch anything with a cheese sauce, no pasta, rice or meat and limited veg's. I'm still BFing 3x a day around 6.30am, 12 noon and 6.30pm before her bath. When do you think I should drop the midday feed?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 16:13:32 pm »
It's only about 10oz a day and that includes all yoghurt, cheese and milk whether as a drink or in cereal or whatever. Not a lot really.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 20:46:28 pm »
Thanks Ali. I guess it's going to have to be the yoghurt route as she won't drink milk and hates cheese  :(
When you stopped BFing your first was it through self weaning? I really don't know what route to take.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 07:26:41 am »
You said she has milk on her cereal so that counts too :)

With DS1 we were down to morning and BT feeds and he wasn't interested a couple mornings and then I just distracted him with a hot choc or DH got him up. Then a few weeks later for the BT feed I moved the BF to down stairs on the sofa rather than upstairs immediately before teeth and bed. Otherwise he never wanted to skip or finish it as it meant straight to bed. After I moved it he was happy to finish and sometimes skip it completely and go upstairs with daddy for stories etc. After he skipped it a few days I just distracted and then if he asked in the weeks afterwards I just told him he was a big boy now and didn't need boobies. We have few if any tears. That's the summary, if you are interested in reading my desperate posts about it at the time they are on the old weaning support thread here WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011