Author Topic: Weaning at 13 months  (Read 2360 times)

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Weaning at 13 months
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:25 am »
My 14.5 MO DD will drink cows milk from a bottle but not a cup - she was weaned to formula at 7.5 months and then cows milk in her bottles by 13 months.  She's currently just having one bottle per day, before bed.  I've tried giving it warm, cold, different cups, but she never drinks more than a sip or 2 (but guzzles it from a bottle).  At the moment I'm trying to gradually get her used to the taste of it coming from a cup by mixing it with her water - started off with just a splash of milk in her sippy cup of water, and today I got up to about 1/4 milk.  Can't say as yet that it will definitely be successful but it's the most success we've had so far!

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • 10 Years in the making...
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 15:31:26 pm »
Thanks so much Ali...I will definitely take a look at your thread.

I love BFing as with DD1 we had problems with her weight gain and were told by the pediatrician to supplement her. I did manage to pump and still offer a decent amount of milk until she was 15 months and was able to tolerate milk but I'm not a fan of pumping at all. With DD2 I recognised the symptoms of the milk allergy and have never had to supplement. It has truly been a joy and completely different experience. I never realised though that it would be so difficult to stop  :) What age did you just do morning and evening feeds?

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 15:55:11 pm »
Ali...I've just read your thread. Wow, you did great with Cadan! I hope it is like that for Abi. I don't want any tears either. I've given myself to 18 months to see if she does it herself but we shall see. It's been such a beautiful experience I don't want to end it just because I think it's time. Like you I have such mixed feelings about it coming to an end anyway.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 20:00:47 pm »
We dropped to 2 feeds quite a while before we weaned. I think it was about 14 or 15mo and he was 26mo when we did our last ever feed. I always had it in my head that I wanted to BF for the 2yrs that the WHO recommends so I wasn't thinking of weaning completely when I reduced the feeds. It is emotional and I had fed him through my DS2's pregnancy and then in tandem so I was getting quite tired of it tbh. I think I probably would have been more upset if I didn't have a 6mo to carry on feeding so goodness knows how I will be when my BF relationship with DS2 comes to an end. Hopefully he won't be my last though :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Megewansmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 23:11:44 pm »
Scruffymax...Thanks for that I might try that too. I have a friend  whose DD2 also guzzles milk from a bottle but not from a sippy cup. She is 16 months now so her mum took away the bottle and is going with no milk but lots of yoghurt and cheese. I've even tried DD2 on chocolate milk today but she refused that aswell  ???

Ali...DD2 has a 15 month check up at the doctors next month so if he says that her weigh and stuff is ok then I think I'll try to cut out the midday feed as you did. She has a huge lunch (normally her best meal of the day) so I'm pretty sure she doesn't really need it. My hat off to you. You have done absolutely awesome with your two boys and given them such a great start in life :) Thanks for your help.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 20:08:16 pm »
Ah thank you. You are doing a fab job too :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011