Author Topic: Sleeping through cluster feed!!  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Sleeping through cluster feed!!
« on: March 06, 2013, 21:22:57 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm pretty sure this question has probably been asked somewhere but i cant find it so sorry if I'm repeating!!
My 7 week old dd is sleeping through her 9pm cluster feed, is this a problem, should she be more awake, I'm also doing the DF at 11pm,so its like I'm doing two dfs!!!
Also, she was doing really well on EASY but the last couple of days she struggles (or i struggle) to get her to  go 2 1/2 hours between feeds, and from about 3pm she barely manages that!!
So today went like this:
Woke up @ 6.30
E 6.50
A
S 8.00

E 9.15
A
S 10.30

E 11.50
A
S 13h
A 13.30
S 14h

E 14.45
A
S 16h

E 17.15

She is now sleeping and then the plan is to feed at 19h,bath cuddle and bed,then feed at 21h and df @ 23h,

Am i totally off track and screwing everthing up??
Usually she then wakes at about 3am and if i can get her settled properly, ie, all wind out!!! Then she will go to 6:30,7 if I'm lucky!!
Her naps have been all over the place today, she is usually quite a good napper but we went out and that always seems to through her off but the last few days the evenings have been along these lines!!
Sorry if I'm babbling!!  :-X

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Sleeping through cluster feed!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 00:19:07 am »
Hi hun, you sound like you're doing great.  :)

I wouldn't worry about the 9PM cluster -- if you want to do it like a dream feed, that's fine, but you can also try skipping it and see if it makes a difference.  If she's struggling to make it longer, it could be a growth spurt, they come fast and furious in the early days of nursing.  Your supply tends to be a bit lower in the evening (naturally, not something you're doing wrong) so it's also normal for babies to nurse more often in the evenings -- babies are often fussier in the evenings as well (generally a combination of overtiredness and overstimulation with my babies) so the nursing is a comfort.  With the nights you're getting (and getting that wind up was always a big issue for us too!) I wouldn't change a thing!

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:45 am »
Hi there!!
So, if i skip the 9pm cluster should i bring the dream feed forward a bit to 10.30?? 7pm-11pm seems very hopeful!!!
And yes, the wind at night is always an issue, she always needs to poo too and wont settle back down till she has, last night was a bit of a nightmare, woke at 4am for food and then fussed and didn't go back to sleep, managed to not feed her till 7 though, although i did give in and walk around with her to get her to chill out enough to put her in her cot,now she is fed,all poo'd out and sleeping like a baby!!!  :)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:46 am »
Yes, I think I'd probably try moving the DF forward a bit.  The idea is to do it somewhere between 10-11, which would also have the benefit that you can get to bed a little earlier yourself :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 14:57:36 pm »
I will give it a go and let you know what happens!! Thank you ladies!!  :D

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 21:24:13 pm »
Ok, so... Ive stopped the 9pm cluster abd bought df to 10:30, the first night was awesome, after df she slept till 4!!! Now though, not so good!!! Shes waking between 1:30/2:00 and then again at 5!! Could the 5am thing be due to DH having to get up at 5 for 3 nights??  I will keep at it and see what happens over the next few days!!! But any tips would be handy!!
Just thought,is this a feeding issue or a sleep issue??

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 23:30:21 pm »
Honestly, she sounds like a pretty tiny baby to me.  DS fed every 3 hours around the clock for the first few months of his life.  You may have just gotten lucky that first night.  :)  And yes, dh getting up could be waking her. 

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 21:06:02 pm »
Still pretty normal at this stage to be waking twice in the night for a feed, like Erin said :)
*** Amanda ***