Author Topic: morning bottle still needed?  (Read 9236 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
morning bottle still needed?
« on: March 08, 2013, 19:53:04 pm »
DD has a morning&BT bottle-usually 7-8oz each.
She is taking plenty of water during the day from a straw
cup.
Im wondering 2 things
1.how many oz dairy does she need at this stage?getting
Various answers online!
2.should i try to swap the bottle for the straw cup?

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 20:05:26 pm »
can I gatecrash? exactly the same situation this end except exchange straw cup for zippy cup. I was told minimum 12oz dairy. Have kept the two bottles as he will not take milk from a cup of any sort and was worried about him having enough otherwise. Interested to see what people say.

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: morning bottle still needed?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 21:02:45 pm »
Here in Canada for ages 1-2 year olds they recommend 2 servings of dairy a day, which would be 2 cups of milk total a day. But if they are getting tons of other dairy then they need less milk. For example, 25 grams of cheese (so one pencil eraser size) is half a serving of milk so if they ate that then they would only need 1.5 cups of milk that day.

What I did was swap the water for milk during meals and then gave water between meals and with snacks. I phased out the bottles slowly by decreasing the amount in the bottles and he would drink more with his meals.

HTH!!
-Nadia

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 21:11:16 pm »
Is she eating breakfast well? If she is I wouldn't worry about it really. We stopped the morning bottle with DD at 1 3 months because she wasn't eating breakfast so she had water with her breakfast and then a sippy of milk as a snack with some toast mid-morning.

Laura

Offline *happy*

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:39:18 am »
Yes,she eats well.our current routine is
7am bottle
8am breakfast-cereal,fruit,toast
11am lunch-soup/fruit salad
2pm dinner stew/lasagne etc
3.30pm yogurt
4.45pm fruit&a rice cake
6.30pm bottle
with water all day.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 22:45:25 pm »
Looks good to me! She's eating well, you could start reducing the amount in the bottle by a few oz and give her that part of the milk in a sippy with breakfast to get her used to having milk in a sippy.

Have you changed her to cow's milk or is it still formula?

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 23:49:11 pm »
10oz, 300ml or half pint of milk/dairy from 1 year old.

Personally I'd try to drop the bottles now and move to a straw or sippy cup.
One thing you might think about when deciding about the morning milk is that I was recently told by our health visitor that it's better to allow/give/encourage larger fluid intake in the morning and less in the evening.  Now I don't really know how one would go about encouraging more in the morning or less in the evening other than dropping the BT bottle and keeping the morning one (or keeping a larger milk in the morning with straw/sippy/open cup etc and smaller milk in the evening with straw/sippy/open cup).  The reason is that over time the bladder will stretch with those larger amounts in the morning, aiding night time dryness when that time comes, which might seem a long way off but will arrive so quickly as all things do.
This info from my HV came more than a year after I dropped DS's BT milk (introduced a supper time, sippy milk with small snack.  He is offered water before bed but only takes a sip or two) and retained his morning milk (changed to straw) so didn't make any difference to us.  But BTDT I can see DS wets so much less at night and we have some dry nights too. Worth a thought when you are deciding.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:20:21 am »
Great info,thanks a mil!
We often have sopping wet nappies&a sore bum in the
morning,so that's def something id like to try.
We had almost swapped the morning formula for
cow's milk(2oz:6oz)but went back to formula when she
Was vomiting that time,so we are building back up to that
again-currently,she'll take 3oz formula with5oz milk
quite happily.her nappies havent been great though
this past week-v v soft&yellow-ish.i cant think what else
other than the milk could be causing this.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 19:42:07 pm »
Back again!
Im on hols for the next couple of weeks,so im thinking of
making the swap then.
More questions though!
DD finishes both 8oz bottles at the moment.for this week-while
i am still working,would you reduce the BT bottle from 8oz
to 6oz or something?or leave BT bottle as it is&phase out
the morning bottle?so confused!BT bottle is a major part
of BT routine-dark room,lullaby,grobag etc so im dreading
that going!especially as she finishes it all!
Also wondering if she needs an actual meal later than she
is getting it?gosh,im so bad with change!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 20:33:47 pm »
Happy, it's totally your choice which bottle you phase out, morning WU or BT.
Me - I'd go with dropping BT, because that's what I did, because it worked, because DS is almost dry at night or rather has some dry nights (just over 2yo) with less fluid before BT.  Add to this the info I had from my HV about keeping larger fluid intake in the morning hours rather than before BT.
Another thing to think about - are you brushing her teeth between bottle and sleep?  The BT bottle was a major part of our WD and BT routine, he didn't feed to sleep but I was utterly convinced BT would go out the window without a bottle.  But for me the matter of teeth was too important to ignore.  I had to move the bottle no matter what because i was brushing teeth before the bottle and letting him sleep with milk on his teeth.  So I just thought BT routine is going ot be ruined by moving bottle pre-teeth brushing I might as well just drop the BT bottle.  Morning bottle of course is fine because teeth brushing can so easily come after it.
But it's up to you.  Many many people keep the BT bottle, there are no rules, just what you are happy with.

If you choose to ditch the BT one I can give you some GW 'rules' to guide you through. It was pain free here, I mean pain free, not a single tear or disrupted BT and it was done within a short space of time, maybe 2 weeks (if only teething was so simple!!!!!)
Don't feel pressure though xx

Offline *happy*

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:09:10 am »
Omg!we brush her teeth before the bottle.how idiotic of me.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:19 am »
If you are worried about hunger at BT you could swap the 2pm dinner with the 445 snack. So do your yummy snack at 2 and dinner at 445/5 and that may help phase out that BT bottle as she may not be hungry for it. Havent bdtd yet but just something I noticed. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 14:28:36 pm »
We started a snack just before BT (food, plus a glass of milk) which made him less hungry for the BT bottle and after a week of that we dropped it. That way it alleviated any of my fears of him going to bed hungry :)
-Nadia

Offline *happy*

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 15:47:07 pm »
Ya,i agree.i feel like it would be a long time
Without proper food to go frm 2pm ish till the
following morning.
So if i gave her the snack after her nap+then
her dinner at 4.45pm?then another snack before bed?
With milk?or without?!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 22:28:04 pm »
Happy I personally think it's best to offer meals when they have a good appetite (if at all possible) so if she eats her dinner really well at 2pm I probably wouldn’t move it.  What I found with DS is that his biggest meal shifted with age and nap changes.  I don't think you need to necessarily change your whole days meals/routine just to drop the BT bottle.  If she's fine with a snack at 2pm then dinner later then that's ok, but if not then it's still ok (you might find if you offer her a snack at 2pm she is still hungry and asking for more for example. You might find that the 11am 'lunch' gradually turns into a snack, the 2pm dinner turns into lunch and the 4.45 snack turns into dinner).  Very many LOs don't eat well after about 4.00pm and you'll often hear people saying their LOs don't eat well at the evening family meal, because it is quite late and because LOs tend to take most of their daily calories in the earlier part of the day (big breakfast, snacks and lunch).  We currently have dinner at 5.30pm and DS eats well but the time has only shifted with his appetite and not related to dropping the BT bottle.  When he was 12 months old he had dinner at 5.15pm but we've also done his biggest meal at 3pm after nap wake up for a long time too.

For dropping the BT bottle I would offer a snack plus milk about 1 hr or so before sleep or just before you begin your bed time routine. So supper (snack and milk, no limit on either, just as much as she wants), teeth brushing, bath, pjs, book or whatever your routine is including the BT bottle whilst you gradually wean.
Forgive me for cutting and pasting the following, maybe it will help:

- I introduced a 'supper' which was approx 1hr 10 min before Sleep, so 5.50pm, not very long after dinner.  Supper was a small snack like a slice of toast with butter or bread stick plus sippy cup of milk.  He could have as much or as little as he wanted.
- I moved BT meds (reflux or teething meds) to during his wind down before going up for bath.
- I reduced the BT bottle by about 1oz and took up a second bottle with just water in.  If he finished the bottle (rare for my DS) and wanted more I offered the water.  The water was really my safety net, I don't think I ever used it whilst he still had a milk bottle.
- If he took less than the full bottle I recorded how much he had taken and used this as my maximum amount offered the following night.
- I would hold at this amount for a few days if he took it all then reduce by 1oz again
- always noting if he did not finish a bottle then use that as the amount to offer the following night.

I expected to take much longer and for it to be much harder than it was in reality.  The oz went down rapidly because with the sippy milk being offered at supper time he was already getting some of his milk.
- I planned to get down to one oz then drop the milk bottle and offer only a water bottle, so that if he had wanted his sucking and cuddle he could still have it but just drink water. However what actually happened was he reduced his BT milk so rapidly that he just took a sip or two and then pushed the bottle away.  I held there for a while but he stopped taking any milk so then I offered just water.  He just took a few sips from the bottle.
- For a short while longer instead of sitting down (snuggling) and offering the water bottle I asked him if he wanted some and handed him the bottle.  This broke the cuddle association.  After a little sip he'd hand the bottle back and then we had our cuddle and dance/song so he still had the closeness before sleeping.
- I then changed the water bottle to a sippy cup of water.  This I still offer a year later, he sometimes doesn't want any, he sometimes has a sip.  If he is poorly or teething he will have a real drink from it but it is still a small amount.

It's ok for her milk to drop a little, she doesn't have to drink the same amount that's she is currently having in the bottle because you still have the morning bottle that's a good size.  I dropped the morning bottle about 1 month later by switching to a straw but kept the amount the same.