Author Topic: 4 month old breastfed baby snacking  (Read 2851 times)

Offline becky111

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
My 4 month old is exclusively breastfed.  She has never got herself into a routine.  She only feeds for 5 minutes then fusses and doesn't want anymore, then she is hungry an hour and a half later.  She also has bad reflux and wind..  I do feed her again from the side she left.  She wakes every two hours through the night and does the same.  Any suggestions on how to get her to go for longer?

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 4 month old breastfed baby snacking
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:50:14 am »
A couple of thoughts....  When she's fussing, is it because she has trapped air and is uncomfortable?  I would take her off the breast and burp her, let her settle a bit and then put her back on the same side.  I would also do breast compressions after your flow has slowed a bit to keep her interested in feeding (ie. she may be fussing because the flow is too slow for her liking).  If you put her on the other side, will she latch and feed?  Lastly, how long has she been feeding like this!  There is a 4 mo gs that can be quite brutal so if this is a recent thing, it might just be the gs and she should settle down in a few days.

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: 4 month old breastfed baby snacking
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 16:15:44 pm »
Some LOs are also done after 5 minutes.  If the reflux isn't controlled, it wouldn't be unusual for her to only take a small feed each time as LOs become aware that if they take more there's more to bring back up, so take smaller, more frequent feeds to avoid that and to ease the discomfort from the acid.
*** Amanda ***