Author Topic: 12 months old and still not sleeping  (Read 901 times)

Offline Aimee_B

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
12 months old and still not sleeping
« on: March 11, 2013, 18:58:04 pm »
My DD will be 12 months old in 8 days, and it has been the longest year of my life!  I am soooo tired and I really need help!

She has never slept well.  I have tried all sorts of things but I just can't get the girl to sleep.  She is up several times at night (3-4) right now which is much better than 2 months ago when she was up 14 times a night!  I don't know how I survived that!!!!  We put her in warm pj's, under a blanket and she isn't cold or too warm, as I always check that.  She has a soother, but when I go in at night she is often holding it in her hand screaming.  I usually try to feed her as that is the only other reason I can think of as to why she is up.  She takes about 4oz at a time.

Two weeks ago I cut her down to one nap, as she is not a good napper either and then a few days ago she started waking up even earlier in the morning (6am).  She has been on the EASY since day one and has never got the hang of it.  Here is the EASY I try for each day

7:00 Wake up, breakfast
7:30 Play
11:00 Lunch
12:00 Nap
2:30  Wake up (this is on a perfect day and is rare that she takes more than a 1.5hr nap)
3:00 Snack
5:30 Supper
7:00 Bath
7:30 Bed

She falls asleep on her own, in her own bed but just can't seem to stay asleep!  Can someone please give me some suggestions?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 12 months old and still not sleeping
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 20:54:48 pm »
Just going to pop you over to toddler sleep as LO is nearly one :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 13:30:44 pm »
Hi Aimee_B - it sounds like you've had a bit of a rough time recently. Some of the behaviours you are describing sound like your LO might be OT (overtired). Early wakings, short naps (less than two hours when only on one nap) and Night Wakings can all be indicators of OT. When she wakes from her nap - how is she? Is she happy or screaming at all?

Another couple of questions for you if that's ok. How long has she been on one nap, and did you switch cold turkey or do a few days of one and a few days of two naps for a while?

Am I reading it right that you feed her at every night waking, so up to four times a night? Does she have any milk feeds during the day?

You say she is screaming and not putting her soother back in when you go to her at night. Is this a recent thing or has she always done this? Is she teething at all? Does medication make a difference?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I hope to be able to help a bit more when you get back to me. In the meantime (((hugs)))
~ Naomi ~

Offline Aimee_B

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 19:25:23 pm »
I wondered it she was overtired but I just can't get her to sleep enough!  I have really tried everything and I figured it was better for her to have one good solid 2 hr nap a day rather than 2, 45 min ones.  I transitioned her over the course of about 2 weeks to one nap and she is getting better, sleeping for about 2 hours.

When she wakes up there is NO getting her back.  She points at the door and screams until I take her out of her room.  I can tell that she is rested, but often she is still a little tired.  She cries alot during the day.  She seems to just want to be held and has always been like that.  I don't want to deny her snuggles so I pick her up and give her a good hug, play with her or sometimes just carry her around.  But there are times when I just can't hold her (like when I make supper)  She usually just sits in the kitchen and screams the whole time.

I have a water cup out for her to drink all day and I give her 6oz of milk before her nap and about 10oz before bed.  She has always taken her soother out and screamed while holding it!  That is her sign/cue that she doesn't just need her soother to go back to sleep but wants something else.  I know that she is teething and medication does help on those days. (if her teeth are bothering her she is up about 10 times a night) but most days her teeth don't bother her.  And she is still up 4 times.

Thanks for the hugs :)  this website really helps me to feel like I am not alone.  Thanks :)

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:05:26 am »
She does sound OT - I would def try for an earlier bedtime if you feel like two naps is not going to work for you. You might need to do bed at 6pm or even 5.30, depending on her nap. I'd probably try for 4.5hrs A time max.

This is a very testy time for little ones, lots of separation anxiety.

It would be great to know how you settle her when she wakes those 4+ times in the night. Is she a fully independent sleeper (ie goes into her cot awake and goes to sleep all by herself)?

Offline Aimee_B

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 18:48:19 pm »
She has always slept alone in her crib and usually has no problem falling sleep on her own.  The only trouble is getting her to stay sleeping!

She had some digestive issues at 2 months and stopped eating.  So since then I have always fed her when she wakes up at night.  I am trying not to feed her with the exception of once at night now.  I go in, lay her down (she is usually sitting or standing) cover her, kiss her and walk out.  She goes back to sleep usually from 2-4 hours.  (last night she was up 4 times)

I hesitate to put her to be before 7:30 because I don't want her to start her day earlier than 7:00 when my toddler wakes up.  My LO waking up at night has really taken a toll on my todder who is always tired now too..... the whole family is so exhausted!

Today I put her down for a nap at 4h30min and she slept 40 minutes!!!  I thought we had this napping thing under controll for the first time and seem to have taken a step back!