Author Topic: 9 week old - intense crying 5 minutes after the start of the feed  (Read 980 times)

Offline Dairy Queen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2

My 9 week old starts to cry (like a pain cry, where he turns really red) about 5 minutes into a feed, usually when there is a second milk 'letdown'.  I am not sure why this happens, but I have to pick him up, burp him, walk around and calm him for a few minutes, and then I can sometimes put him back on the breast.

He does not do this at night, only during the daytime feeds.  Any ideas what this could be?  Feeds last about 10 minutes total, every 3 hours.  He's on EASY, and a very efficient feeder, plus I have a strong letdown.  He weighs 13 pounds.

Any suggestions?
People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one...

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: 9 week old - intense crying 5 minutes after the start of the feed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 20:24:30 pm »
It could be the strong letdown.  Sometimes the second one is more of a shock than the first, so he might be getting a big blast and struggling with it.  Have you tried laid back nursing, where you recline to feed so that the letdown has less power to it as it is fighting against gravity?  Even if you just have your bottom at the front of the chair and lean into the back of it with the top of your back, that often helps.  You can pop some cushion in behind you to prop you up.  Or if you're able to, actually lying down with LO on top of you.
*** Amanda ***

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: 9 week old - intense crying 5 minutes after the start of the feed
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 20:28:54 pm »
Is this the only sign of discomfort you have Hun? - agree with Amanda. Strong LD can upset them and give them gas/and etc.

Poops ok?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.