Author Topic: 14 weeks, refusing the breast entirely or sometimes 10 minutes into the feed.  (Read 994 times)

Offline FJ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I have a 14 week old baby boy who was generally feeding really well, on the EASY routine every 3 hours.   Recently, he is starting 2 things.  Either refusing the breast entirely (when i know he is clearly hungry) or comes on for about 5 minutes then starts crying! I know its not good to swap sides immediately as this is the quencher bit, but i get desperate so put him on the other breast which then also lasts for 5 minutes and then starts crying!!  I try to calm him down by walking around.  Sometimes its a burp that comes out, but when i try to put him back on he occasionally will come on again for 2-3 minutes, other times refuses it entirely.  I have had some breastmilk in the freezer, so have been topping up with that which he takes perfectly well from a bottle!! 

Had him weighed, health visitor says he isnt putting on enough weight as he should be and has dropped percentiles!
Help please!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Hugs that sounds tough.

Is he sick with a cold or anything that could be making it difficult for him to suck?

Does anything in this FAQ ring a bell? Reflux or oversupply/ overactive letdown?

Was your HV able to suggest anything or refer you to a lactation consultant?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
Could it be a bottle preference?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
How far down the centiles has he dropped?  Has it been sudden or gradual?  Did you have any fluids whilst in labour?
*** Amanda ***