Author Topic: 4 mo crying, refusing breast after a few minutes  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Leewh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 mo crying, refusing breast after a few minutes
« on: March 12, 2013, 23:01:13 pm »
My DD has been a great feeder from the beginning.  She ate on schedule and essentially taught herself (and me) how to breastfeed.  Recently however, she has shown very peculiar behavior while nursing.  She will latch fine, suckle a few minutes, then arch her back like she's trying to get away from the breast.  I coax her into continuing to eat, and she relatches/arches a few more times then begins to scream and cry.  I tried spacing out my feedings but am getting the same behavior.  I tried switching breasts when she does that, worried it may be a flow issue, but she does the same behavior on the other breast.  Milk continues to flow as I see it in her mouth and coming out of my breast.  I do not understand her behavior at all and it is so frustrating.  She acts like this for almost all nursing sessions during the day but she takes to a bottle without any problems.  She still has plenty of soiled diapers so I believe she's getting enough to eat, but the behavior concerns me.  Any ideas what this behavior is all about???

P.S. She does have acid reflux and is on medication 2x/day. 

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 4 mo crying, refusing breast after a few minutes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:26:48 am »
Hi,  the arching is a sign of reflux.  She may need a dose adjustment for her meds or may be another med added.  There are lots of info and helpful advice on the reflux boards.
Colic, Reflux, & Crying

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 22:07:34 pm »
Has she had a 4m growth spurt yet?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Leewh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 21:31:50 pm »
I'm not sure if her growth spurt has happened.  usually I identify her growth spurts by increased nursing and lately she's been refusing to nurse.  she has however tended to sleep more during the day (and less at night, grrrr).

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 21:04:30 pm »
Is she wanting to feed more at night?  Waking to feed is pretty common anyway, but the 4m spurt is quite big and comes with the time LOs are also becoming more interested in their surrounding.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Leewh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 20:56:00 pm »
Yes actually, she is waking more often at night, taking full nursings and then having a lot more difficulty falling back asleep.  She used to sleep from 7-6, only wake once between 2-4am to nurse.  Now she wakes at 11 and 4 to nurse and does not go back down easily.  Growth spurt?

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 22:24:06 pm »
Could be.  There's also a 4m sleep regression, so could be a combination of the two.
*** Amanda ***