Author Topic: fussing on the bottle  (Read 1697 times)

Offline katha

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:17 am »
Hi there,

I have a 17 week old, who for the past week or so has not been too bothered about his milk. He tends to fuss on the bottle quite a lot and refuse it. He hits it, turns his head and kicks his legs. If i persevere, he takes it - but its hard work. It's like he wants it, but doesn't want it at the same time! This is obviously quite worrying, as i'm worried he's not getting enough. I wondered if anyone has had the same experience and/or any advice as to what the possible reasons might be? The last time he did this was when i was B/feeding and he got frustrated as he wasn't getting what he wanted. I moved him to formula. My feeling is he's ready for solids?

Please help.
Thank you

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: fussing on the bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:09:50 am »
My LO had a phase of not being too bothered, before solids I would maybe just check its nothing like an ear infection or teeth bothering him!? I know mine was a nosey thing so had to make sure tv off for a while whilst feeding.
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:14:22 am »
At 17 weeks he really won't be ready for solids - babies don't drink less because they want food honestly!

What flow teat are you using - if you haven't already try a faster one. How often are you feeding him? If you are still feeding every 3 hours then he needs longer between bottles now. If you want, write your EASY down for us and we can have a look.

It's early for teething but it is possible, you could try a little teething gel before a feed to see if that helps.

Laura

Offline katha

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:40 am »
Thank you. I've just moved him onto no2 teat, but not seemed to make a difference. He's on 4 hourly feeds already, as his awake time is 2 hours to get good naps. He's been teething for a while now, so hard to tell if its that or not. My daughter cut her first tooth at 4 months and wondering if he's working on that too...bottom front gums starting to feel sharper! Will try the gel idea.

Many thanks

Offline bosscat1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 19:25:24 pm »
Hi there

I am just wondering if you had any solution to this as i am going through exactly the same with my 17 week old, he takes a few ounces and then becomes really fussy!

thanks

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 21:18:57 pm »
Hi Laura - please start your own thread to get some eyes :)