Author Topic: Im at a loss here...  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Im at a loss here...
« on: March 15, 2013, 18:22:20 pm »
OK so I should say C has MSPI and is currently breast fed with one bottle of neocate per day.

We started him on solids around 4.5mo and it was a few tea spoons of pureed pear, apple or carrot. We have since given him a variety of fruits and vegetables which he seems fine with :)

This last week has been hell and im thinking it may be diet related? He has been incredibly irritable, wont nap and crying all day.

DP gave him toast last week and allowed L to give him a baby corn snack thing so these may be the culprits ???

I dont know where to go from here? I cant feed him fruit and veg forever can I?
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Im at a loss here...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 18:26:16 pm »
Did your dp put butter on the toast without thinking?

Other than that, I think that at this stage you can just give him fruit and vegetables - he is still pretty young to be interested in solids at all, so there is plenty of time to move him on to other things in due course.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 18:36:16 pm »
(((hugs)))

grains are very difficult to digest - especially wheat and corn. He's still very young, so I would keep on giving him fruit and veg for now, and I would add grains very cautiously and I would start with something other than wheat and corn - if anything these two are some very allergenic foods. Maybe oatmeal, or rice cereal would be better to start?
Elise

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 20:51:30 pm »
no butter in the house at all so it defo wasnt that. We have baby rice which I was going to give him before he tried wheat etc but I wasnt keen on starting it yet. Im happy to stick with fruit and veg for now, just wondered what was next!

When introducing new foods, if theres an intolerance, what should I expect? Im obviously not expecting an allergic reaction but will it just be the irritability? He has been constipated today as well, Im assuming that is probably a symptom too?

Thanks ladies xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 21:19:51 pm »
Sure he is not teething? Sometimes babies just are grumpy YK.

I would prob suggest meat next TBH. It so early days yet though, not even 6 months, that I wouldn't despair yet.

I would street clear of anything which is basically processed like bread. I am not sure this is recommended for any baby under 6 months  ??? esp sensitive ones.

I works stick with the 3 day rule. Something like bread prob has soy in it and then obviously wheat and some even egg!

Actually thinking about it I would bet it is soy in the bread. I found it really hard to soy free bread.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 22:52:12 pm »
I think most bread has milk products in it too, unless it says that it is free from dairy. If your lo is very sensitive that could be enough to upset him.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 23:00:08 pm »
Actually thinking about it I would bet it is soy in the bread. I found it really hard to soy free bread.

I would guess soy too, here most store bought bread is free of eggs and dairy, but it all has soy.

I cant feed him fruit and veg forever can I?

Well, no, but he is still pretty small that I wouldn't be too worried about it, Spencer was on just fruit and veg for ages!
Heidi

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:05 am »
No soy or dairy in the bread. It's the one I'm eating - it was mega hard to find and I think it's the only one in tesco.

It could just be teething - I really don't know. He actually seems a little better yesterday and this morning so I'm hoping it continues! The crying has been horrible - this week has been really really hard! I've been close to putting him down so I can leave the room to compose myself :(

People have said that prunes are good for constipation, should I just but some and blend them up? Should I give him water between feeds? He's still bf every 3 hours and I've only been offering water with solids.

Maybe I should post on solid foods board but I wondered what fruits and veggies are best? I know banana can make babies constipated and he seems ok with pear and apple. Someone mentioned carrot before but I can't remember why?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:47 am »
I would have a read through the solids boards as there are lots of posts about this already. Catherine has created a new sticky about laxatives foods I think too.

Glad he is feeling better. Crying can be a sign something is wrong if course but I think you would have seen other signs like vomiting (ESP as he is prone to it), eczema, mucous etc

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 12:02:12 pm »
Yeah no mucous or eczema :) lots of vomiting but like pu say, he's so prone to that he was doin it anyway!

Ill check out solid foods for info :) thanks so much ladies :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 13:58:45 pm »
Guess yo have the Annabel Karmel weaning book? I followed that for introducing foods and recipes. I think a lot of ladies have/do.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 14:01:05 pm »
I used to give Spencer a little prune juice (watered down) in a syringe when she was that age and got constipated, worked wonders.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 21:08:37 pm »
Hi Kelly,

How are things now?