Author Topic: Goat milk?  (Read 5363 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Goat milk?
« on: March 15, 2013, 18:37:46 pm »
Has anyone used goat milk with their LO's? DS is 15 months old and although he doesn't have straight allergic reaction or GI symptoms since introducing cow's milk 2 months ago, he's constantly congested so I am thinking of trying him on something else. Since he can't tolerate any sugar or starch, most milks are pretty much out for us.

I just read up something on goat's milk and thought it may be interesting?
Elise

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Goat milk?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 00:45:52 am »
Bumping this up for you Elise  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 22:22:05 pm »
Sorry Elise, no not tried to here xx

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 22:27:24 pm »
 I don't have any "real" advice or BTDT, but I will say that Dr. Oz sings the praises of goats milk all the time, says its proteins are broken down smaller than other types of milk, and he says it is better tolerated than every other milk.  For whatever that is worth.....! 

Offline ENMS

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 00:19:36 am »
Thanks Anne. I'm seeing M's paed tomorrow so I will ask her about it, see what she has to say. Interesting I didn't know it was supposed to be easier to digest!
Elise

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 04:33:30 am »
My DD doesn't have any allergies, but she has had goat's milk. TBH, she seems to prefer cow's milk, so we're sticking mostly with that, but we get some from neighbors once in a while. Just to be sure to verify the source so you know it's safe and pasteurized. I've actually never asked our ped about it, but I have a feeling most doc's concerns would be around the source since goat's milk is going to come from small farms that may not be well monitored or regulated.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:06:37 am »
F is MPI but growing out of it - she can have cooked dairy and is ok with a small amount of yoghurt or cheese. We trialed her on goats milk at 2yrs and she did react, perhaps slightly less than she does to cow's milk but she still had red welts around the mouth after a very small drink. I've read that the proteins are similar enough to cow proteins that many MPI LOs will react, although some can tolerate it :-\
*Nuala*

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 00:08:07 am »
My youngest has been raised on goats milk, the protein is smaller and easier to digest then milk or soy protein. I made her goat milk formula till 13 months then she went to straight goats milk. She now drinks almond milk mostly sometimes goats milk,. She is VERY allergic to cow and soy milks( she was allergic to corn too, so any formulas out there were out of the question, now she can have cooked corn though) cooked or not and doubtful she will ever be able to drink them.
When I was a child I myself I drank goats milk for a whole year since I was always wheezing and congested and my nose ran 24/7. Cleared right up wit the goats milk.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 00:21:45 am »
Lilybug how did you make your goat's milk formula?

Thanks, that is some really interesting information! I feel like i'm really stuck, I don't think he tolerates cow's milk well, but he can't have hypoallergenic formula, and all the other replacement milks are not ideal becuase they're lower calories / carbs / fat and my DS needs all of these because he's not gaining weight, and he's on a very restricted diet without sugar and starch because of his intolerances.

I think I may just try it!
Elise

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 11:30:47 am »
My ds is severely allergic to cows milk and we were always told that the proteins in goats milk are very similar to those in cows milk therefore many people that are allergic to cows milk are also allergic to goats milk. This is not the case with everybody though. We did try a small amount with our ds when he nger and he had a bad reaction to it so we have not tried it since.

I wonder if it is possibly tolerated better when a lo has a cows milk intolerance rather than an IGE allergy to cows milk.

Kelly
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 18:10:28 pm by Jimbob »

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ENMS

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 14:14:24 pm »
I wonder if it is possibly tolerated better when a lo had a cows milk intolerance rather than an IGE allergy to cows milk.

That is a really good point Kelly. Makes a lot of sense I think. We're seeing the allergist on Thursday so I think once we know the results, I'll try him on goat's milk and see if it improves his symptoms!
Elise

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 18:20:43 pm »
My DS has a severe delayed milk allergy/intolerance (though not anaphylactic, thankfully). He CAN tolerate goat's milk cheese when cooked into something (I make his quesadillas and pizza this way) but NOT raw - so no goat's milk yogurt or milk to drink for us. Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 00:26:51 am »
Hey Elise! Well you know my DS is like yours in some ways (although we have not yet scoped him but probably soon) and is intolerant/allergic (take your pick no one seems to know which) to dairy and he absolutely cannot tolerate goats milk. But that doesn't mean yours can't! Might as well try it but go into it with your eyes open! Good luck!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 00:40:29 am »
Thanks chicagomom!

We had allergy testing today and as expected it is negative.  We can't switch his milk yet because we're waiting on his nutritionnist to get back to us, but eventually I'm definitely considering trying goat's milk.

How is your DS doing lately? Do they still think it's CSID? I'm now pretty much of an expert on CSID ;) so if it ends up being that for you guys, PM me I can help you out with lots of stuff. :)
Elise

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 13:10:14 pm »
Thanks chicagomom!

We had allergy testing today and as expected it is negative.  We can't switch his milk yet because we're waiting on his nutritionnist to get back to us, but eventually I'm definitely considering trying goat's milk.

How is your DS doing lately? Do they still think it's CSID? I'm now pretty much of an expert on CSID ;) so if it ends up being that for you guys, PM me I can help you out with lots of stuff. :)

great, keep us posted! 

we are going back to the GI and nutritionist in a couple of weeks and set up a reintroduction plan for dairy and gluten.  if he fails the reintroduction, then we are scoping.