Author Topic: vitamin D  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
vitamin D
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:43:54 am »
so my internet search brings up a number of things high in vitamin D but DD doesn't eat fish :-\, cod liver, or mushrooms and we don't buy salami/sausage or soy products.  We are also not supporting the milk industry here and the sun shows it's rays in the months of July, Aug and Sept.  So besides fortified cereals what other things have Vitamin D?
oh, eggs was one of them and they get offered often but it seems that if it's not fruit leather or carbs DD doesn't eat it :-\ 
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:42:34 am »
Fortified OJ ;)

Or a Vit D supplement... My doc suggested Tri-Vi-Sol after 12 months... Made by Enfamil.

Or there are BabyD Drops - Vit D only, but whole 400IU dose in a single drop.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:43:43 am »
hmm- Caviar? ;P I would perhaps go down the fortified cereals route if i were you. Have a hunt around for a low sugar/sodium one and then offer it as a snack perhaps? dietitians i know say that cereal is a pretty good snack food. It's a tricky one!! Perhaps cheesy salmon and potato patties?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:32 am »
I use the baby D drops for both my Los.  It's so easy to use.  I could never get my DS to ake the tri-vi-sol vit d.

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 19:54:56 pm »
thanks ladies. i'll have to look into both. DD1 won't even take a vitamin but DD2 wants more every time I give her one.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 20:21:14 pm »
My toddler will ONLY eat Flintstones multi vitamins ;)  She didn't like the Enfamil brand Vit D, but she did like the Tri-Vi-Sol (but refused any store brand equivalent!).

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 22:20:37 pm »
I give my girls a gummy version of vitamin D. I believe it is an adult one, but we are sorely lacking in sun here and the Dr okayed the amount they are getting. I tried the drops but they hated it.
Heidi

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 19:49:18 pm »
We use the Abidec vitamins when I remember.  I was talking to some dietitians on twitter recently about vitamin D and the consensus was there aren't many good food sources.  Luckily my son eats a lot of mushrooms and some eggs.  (Mushroom fried rice is a good one to feed them both where they're both kind of hidden.)

I know people think "no-one used to take supplements" but that's not true.  Cod liver oil was given to kids for generations.  It just so happens to be really high in vitamin D (also A and omega 3) and rose hip syrup was given for vitamin C.  There is increasing evidence that vitamin D is important to prevent all kinds of problems, not just with bones.  It's in the early stages but it's worth including it, at least occasionally.

Oh and you can always include eggs in baking :-)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 21:47:42 pm »
So besides fortified cereals what other things have Vitamin D?
Powdered milk.  I've been adding powdered milk to DS's regular cow milk drink because he doesn't take much milk so it's a boost for his calcium but it has added vit A and D too.  Or do you ever make pancakes or anything like that because you can add some into the mix for a boost, if DD likes carbs I imagine pancakes are acceptable (you can also increase the egg content and they still serve up as a carbs dish rather than an egg dish)

I made some little cup cakes the other day which have lots of eggs but taste sweet like cake, an easy way to get eggs in! DS, DP, my mum and MIL all ate lots so I think they were ok. It's posted here if you want to try it
Dairy, soy and/or gluten free recipes & menu plans