Author Topic: Rolling, rolling, rolling  (Read 1354 times)

Offline A_Z

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 19, 2013, 00:25:46 am »
RAWHIDE!

Ahem.  That is to say, my 4.5 month old has become hell bent on rolling over and does all her practicing at night, in her crib.  She still hasn't managed to get all the way over in either direction, but in the meantime has decided that sleeping on her side is awesome.  Only problem is, it takes her about twenty minutes to hike herself over far enough that she stays.  In the process she manages to turn herself around at least 90 degrees in her crib, so when she invariably flips to her back again while she's asleep she bonks into the bars and wakes up. 

So we've gone from one night wakeup after a 9-10 hour stretch, to about three wake-ups with a max of four hours in between.  It suuucks.  She was already sleeping shorter spurts because of the four month sleep regression, but the rolling seems to be much worse.

I've considered propping her up with a rolled up towel, or at least flipping her onto her back once she's deeply asleep, but I suspect that the sooner she works this out for herself the better.

She's recently started self-soothing to sleep at night (yay!), so I thought maybe it would help her get back to sleep after night wakings, but no luck.  I need to nurse her each time.

Anything I can try to make this rolling thing go by faster?  Or will she just figure it out for herself in another week or so.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Rolling, rolling, rolling
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:04:54 am »
Best if she figures it out on her own - give her plenty of floor time during the day and ride out the dodgy nights in the meantime. encouraging rolling

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:32:34 am »
LOL- I gave you a 'thank you' because i LOVED your corny rolling joke! :-*
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline A_Z

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 00:03:09 am »
Best if she figures it out on her own - give her plenty of floor time during the day and ride out the dodgy nights in the meantime. encouraging rolling

Thanks for the response!  We've been giving her loads of floor time, but for whatever reason she really only wants to practice at night.  Oh well.  I guess she'll get it sooner or later.  We are trying to help her practice a little, sort of like that link described.

I put the breathable bumpers on her crib finally, so maybe that'll help a little.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 00:05:51 am by A_Z »

Offline A_Z

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 00:04:38 am »
LOL- I gave you a 'thank you' because i LOVED your corny rolling joke!

Haha, thanks!  My husband and I have been walking around singing this for the past few days.  We'll have to have a Blues Brothers viewing over the weekend.

Offline A_Z

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:29:52 am »
Well, it's been a while, but she FINALLY learned how to roll from front to back.  She took her sweet time about it!  She did it twice tonight during tummy time and seemed very proud of herself.  She's been rolling from back to front since maybe a week or two after I started this thread, but the other direction just took forever.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:41 am »
Yay!  Are you getting better sleep  now?