Author Topic: DS has tree nut allergies...when shd i try nuts for DD (13 months)  (Read 2385 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
it seems like this info is always changing

although we have NO nut allergies in our family, my DS is allergic to most tree nuts excepts almonds/hazelnuts and he is OK w/ peanuts too.

i gave DS almonds really early before a year in a cookie i think. PButter at 2 years. We quickly discovered he was allergic to cashews shortly after.

so, what should do for DD? id rather just know so I can deal with it...
heather

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: DS has tree nut allergies...when shd i try nuts for DD (13 months)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 16:54:49 pm »
I would check with your paed/allergist. As you say research is always changing about these things.

Olly is 3 now and I am still too scared to try nuts!

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 17:57:24 pm »
They say now not to delay allergens. However, I was too chicken and asked my allergist to spt ds2 when he was 5 mo old. Turns out he was to young and still reacted a few mo later to things that were negative. I would ask your allergist. Do you have suspicions? early signs like eczema? Nuts are kind of scary IMO.

Offline nona

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 18:06:37 pm »
that's the obvious answer -  just curious what others are doing. i'm seeing her in a few months. i'm not going to be giving DD a PB sandwich anytime soon or nuts (choking) but just curious....

AB  - right  - AAP has new guidelines. My pedi is sooooo conservative. DS's allergist just left our clinic so not sure when we will see him again. (DS asthma is mild, can be dealt with by pedi)

DD has no signs of anything. DS was a c/s baby and has allergy induced asthma and has eczema (which showed up as a baby).  DD has no skin issues so far and was a VBAC.

heather

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 19:02:03 pm »
Well I was told by Ollys allergist that by having other allergies this does not make him more likely to have nut allergies.

He also said they are still trialling giving foods early and that impact on allergies.

The nurse that did his skin tests said not to try peanuts before 2 years for him.

And yes it is obvious but no one here has got a qualification or access to the latest research that a trained doctor in this specific field has.

Offline nona

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 21:01:34 pm »
And yes it is obvious but no one here has got a qualification or access to the latest research that a trained doctor in this specific field has.

sorry i didn't mean to come across snarky in my response. that was not my intention.sometimes it comes across a certain way when being read but that's not what i meant.   i just wanted "real life" experience

Well I was told by Ollys allergist that by having other allergies this does not make him more likely to have nut allergies.

yea it is just weird DS has the eczema/asthma issues and nut thing. guess he is just unlucky in that regard :(
heather

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 21:27:48 pm »
We don't have a history of allergies in either side of our family but obviously olly has more than his fair share! He also has asthma and I am now listening to him struggle to sleep as his torso is covered in eczema. Random but very clearly reactive!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 00:43:50 am »
We were told 3 for Spencer based on the fact that she has other allergies and 3 first cousins with anaphylactic allergies (not just to nuts-egg, kiwi, seafood and peanut/treenut). I still haven't fed her nuts as I am not comfortable doing it at home where I am over an hour to the nearest pediatric unit in a hospital and I don't have epipens. Realistically though anyone can develop an allergy to any food protein at anytime, so I don't know why I don't just give it to her!!

Both my nephews with allergies also have asthma and have had ezcema. Masyn and Spencer both had ezcema, Masyn may have asthma and has environmental allergies. Spencer so far just has food allergies and intolerances!
Heidi

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 00:51:03 am »
My sisters ds has a lethal peanut/tree nut allergy, and with Millie being allergic to milk as a babe, I was terrified of that.   :-\   I literally gave her her first taste of PB in the waiting room of her peds office when she was just over 2 and a half.  The ped said I wasn't the first!

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 00:54:44 am »
I literally gave her her first taste of PB in the waiting room of her peds office when she was just over 2 and a half.

Yeah, Anne, I have been planning for the last 2 years to do it at the ER parking lot...still haven't found a good time, you know? And, the thing is that it is usually the 2nd time you eat the allergen that the rxn happens, so I would be wanting to do it twice and space it out by an hour or so.
Heidi

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:33 am »
^^ That's just what I did Heidi!  Thankfully, our ped at the time had a really nice "well child" waiting area, and dd was fine to hang out for 90 minutes! 

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:54 pm »
^^ That's just what I did Heidi!  Thankfully, our ped at the time had a really nice "well child" waiting area, and dd was fine to hang out for 90 minutes! 

That's awesome...I just wish our allergist would test for foods she hasn't eaten to give us an idea (he won't because there is a high rate of false positives and the only true way to diagnose allergy is by a food challenge-Spencer's scratch and RAST test were both negative for egg, but he considers her allergic based on rxn alone)
Heidi

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:54:22 pm »
They call it the allergic march - starts out as eczema, then food allergies, then asthma, then seasonal allergies. Ds1 has the first three, and I'm pretty sure he has seasonal as well. Doesn't mean you can't have them singley (sp?), but they of4en come together. It's why I asked if  your second child had eczema. I'm not sure about the correlation of birthing method and allergies, but all three 8f my kids are c/s and the younger two have food allergies. Hth

Offline nona

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 16:02:00 pm »
there is a correlation of c/s babies and asthma (but obviously correlation does not equal causation). there are a lot of c/s babies w/o asthma or allergies....and mine wasn't really emergent as he wasn't in distress.

i feel bad for my DS. thing is he is never sick and has never even had an antibiotic (yet - knock on wood) and yet he has crazy seasonal allergies, and all this other junk.

he 2nd exposure to cashews was when he swelled up, etc. we were able to manage at home.

anyway, i see what my pedi says but i think there is not a right answer and i think if you're allergic your allergic....
heather

Offline nona

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 15:59:52 pm »
a little update:

under my FILs watch on Easter, DD got into a peanut butter egg. She was fine and then we went ahead and gave her PB a few more times and so far no problems w/ PB.

she has also had almond butter a few times & is OK. I think she had walnuts in some mashed sweet potatoes and was OK but I need to double check.

anyway, still need to check most of the tree nuts. Since she already got exposed on accident to some stuff, i'm just going with it!

really happy she seems to be OK with peanut butter!

we see the pedi for 15 month check this month so  i can ask her about givign the other tree nuts. I have this feeling she is not allergic. but who knows!
heather