Author Topic: Pumping  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:22:27 pm »
Hi all

I am bfing DS2, but need the flexibility of a bottle sometimes because DS1 gets very upset when I bf him and DS1 also has a crazy schedule with speech and occupational therapy and will also be starting preschool on April 1st.  I have been pumping, but feel like I don't get too much at each session -- often 2, maybe 3 oz.  I will sometimes pump right after bfing DS or in between his feeding sessions (which means I am bfing and pumping constantly!!), but I don't see how I am going to build up a decent stash of ebm.  Anyone who bf'ed and also put ebm in a bottle, what kind of a pumping schedule were you on?

Additionally, because I sometimes only get 2oz per pumping session, I wonder if DS is getting enough when he nurses.  There are times that he seems satisfied, and other times that he does not.  Sometimes I end up giving him an ounce or two more in a bottle and then he seems fine after drinking that.  Could I not be producing enough milk? Or could pumping be interfering with what DS is getting when he nurses?

I am trying to make this work, but I need a little help!! Thanks!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Pumping
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 18:13:29 pm »
2-3oz is a great amount to be getting out if you're not pumping at a regular time and if you haven't been pumping regularly up to now.

As for the amount your LO is getting, what you pump is in no way a reliable indicator of what he's getting when he feeds directly from you.  If he doesn't seem satisfied at the end of a feed, instead of offering a supplemental bottle of EBM, you could try offering the other breast (if you're single sided feeding - sometimes they need both, even if they've been SSF for ages) or if you've already given both sides, re-offering the first one again.

How old is DS2 now?
*** Amanda ***

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
Thanks, Amanda! DS2 is 2 weeks old now.  I think part of the problem may be that he gets sleepy when he is nursing so he will suck suck suck suck pause for awhile and repeat.  So maybe he's not getting as much as he wants and then when he falls asleep totally and I think he's done, he's not really because he was feeding and sleeping at the same time if that makes sense?

I pumped this am as DS2 got a bottle so I could sleep a little and got 6oz!!!! I couldn't believe it.  I guess output varies during the day.  Would you continue pumping after or in between feeds?  There aren't specific feeds I want to replace so it's not like I can say ok at 1pm I'll pump every day because that's when I want to give him a bottle.  I'm just trying to build a stash for the freezer.

Thanks so much for your help
--Nicole

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:46:32 am »
Wow, two weeks old! Pumping can be like feeding: if you pick a certain time each day and pump, you will quickly find that you produce at that time so you will get more into the bottle.  Just pick a time that suits you, I used to pump everyday around 9am, for example, to store up for a NF.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 19:00:10 pm »
Agree with what Anne said, especially at 2w.  Milk production at this stage is hormone driven, so the more you feed, the more you make.

The drowsy feeding is so normal at 2w.  You could try stroking his cheek from the corner of the mouth up towards the cheekbone, which stimulates the suck reflex and can get a sleeping baby drinking again.  The pauses in the feed are normal too.  It means LO's brain can catch up with their stomach so they know that they're full.

That 6oz pump is great!  Good job!  Milk supply is naturally more plentiful in the mornings than the evening, so if you're going for quantity, that might be a good time to put in a pump session, whether that's pumping from the side LO hasn't taken or from both.
*** Amanda ***

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 16:19:33 pm »
Thanks, ladies.  I really appreciate your help.  I didn't realize that it was better to pump at a certain time each day and that your body then knows to make milk at that time.  Also - this is probably the dumbest question ever, but can a baby ever feed and there be nothing in there? Meaning if I decide to pump at 9am and then at 9:30 or 10 baby wakes and is hungry (since there won't be a routine for a bit), will he still get milk if he nurses? I am sorry if that is so stupid.  I wish I had had you ladies when I was bf-ing DS1, maybe I would have made it longer than 6 weeks (although he had other issues that made bfing difficult)!

One other thing - there are some days when DS poops that it seems to be painful for him although it comes out like normal breastfed stool.  He'll cry for a few minutes and strain and then it comes out.  Is that normal or is that indicative of him not tolerating something I ate?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
--Nicole

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 17:58:17 pm »
Hi Nicole! I'm pumping after ever feed time but I'm not having much luck with the breast feeding so you are definitely ahead of where I am :) keep it up! You can do it!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 19:03:18 pm »
Meaning if I decide to pump at 9am and then at 9:30 or 10 baby wakes and is hungry (since there won't be a routine for a bit), will he still get milk if he nurses?

Yes, there will still be milk.  My friend once pumped 9oz in the evening as she was expecting her DS to be asleep for a while and he woke about 10 minutes later wanting a feed.  She fed him and he was totally satisfied.  The body is an amazing thing :)

As for the poos, sometimes it's just an immaturity in the gut somewhere and they seem to have trouble passing a stool.  I'm sure others will have other takes on that, though
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 23:43:29 pm »
As for the poos, sometimes it's just an immaturity in the gut somewhere and they seem to have trouble passing a stool.  I'm sure others will have other takes on that, though
I remember mine having that issue too, it was almost like it just felt really odd for them and they didn't like it.  As long as the stools are soft and as they "should" be, from what I've always read, you don't have to worry.