Author Topic: baby refusing bottle  (Read 1776 times)

Offline amirmak

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:53:51 am »
Hello! I have a 2 month old son who eats half formula and half pumped breast milk. He started to refuse bottles(even though he never latched on and has been bottle feed since 10 days old). yesterday he only ate 15oz which is much less than usual and would act hungry but start crying after 1-2oz. i tried different formula, nipples, only formula, only breastmilk, warmer, cooler and nothing helped. he also barely slept 11 hours ( including his night time sleep) and was very fussy. When trying to bottle feed he would kick his legs and wave his arms and pull his head back and i tried a faster nipple thinking he wasnt getting anything but then he would just let it all come out the sides. the MD thought reflux so we have been on zantac for about 3 weeks with no help. He is just generally  a fussy baby...maybe colic maybe gas. we have tried gripe water and also mylicon with no help. honestly he seemed worse when we gave him mylicon!
Please help!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: baby refusing bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:46 am »
Does sound like it could be reflux... here is a quick list to have a peek at:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Zantac is weight sensitive and does often need to be a high dose to work... many LOs will outgrow the med as well and be moved to another type of drug... what does baby weigh now and how much does LO get/how often?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:54:09 am »
The other thing to consider is food intolerance's. Have a look here and let us know what you think hun.
 Does my LO have food intolerances?

How are poops?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline amirmak

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:57:59 am »
He gets 10.5 mg per day and now weight 12 pounds. my hubby was on nexium because he has reflux and zantac did nothing for him! I was also thinking about food intolerance to something i eat but have tried days of only formula to see if he does better and he does not. we switched to gentlease a week ago and have seen no change. He also seems congested since about 1 old and has a rash that i can not tell if it is baby acne :(
thanks ladies for the input...any other input is appreciated!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 21:48:29 pm »
Well formula contains milk so if your LO is intolerant to milk formula won't make a difference ;) u less you have got some prescription formula or hyperallergenic (ie neocate)

Intolerances take 1-2 weeks to clear. I you wanted to try an ed you would cut out all dairy, and most people do soy at the same time. X

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:49 am »
Agree with Sara completely... the facial rash is more than likely baby eczema (it can be really bumpy) and is generally caused by intolerances.. milk protein intolerance is generally the source.

Enfamil Gentlese is simply a reduced-lactose formula - still milk based.  It's extremely rare for any baby to be lactose intolerant so I would move away from this formula...

I am going to assume you are in either the USA or Canada since you mentioned Gentlease formula... your first step in terms of formula for milk allergy/intolerance would be Nutramigen or Alimentum. 

Couple things you can try - either pump and dump and use formula for a week to see if there is a change or,

Cut dairy and soy from your own diet (including hidden dairy that is an ingredient in things) and see how he does.

Offline peacefulwarrior

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:36:33 am »
Have you tried chiropractic?  There is gentle chiropractic care for babies - no popping or cracking.  It can do WONDERS for a colicky baby! 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:18:15 am »
Chiro can be great but if you are seeing outward signs of possible intolerances and baby does have reflux, it won't magically cure it.