Author Topic: 12 mo refuses bits, only eats mashed food  (Read 1451 times)

Offline clairette

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
12 mo refuses bits, only eats mashed food
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:30:14 am »
Hi,

My 12 month old daughter is refusing to eat any bits in her food, she would only eat mashed food and spit any bits.
She is okay with bread and banana as finger food, but she would refuse bits when I feed her myself with a spoon (I tried mixed with mashed food as well).
If I put some bits on her tray, she would just play with them, and after a lot of encouragement would try one piece but generally spit it right away. Then she gets bored and will just throw the bits of food on the floor.
I wonder if I should try to be a bit more strict on her and don't give her the choice of mashed food. Then, if she doesn't it it, then maybe she would be more hungry and more willing to eat the next meal.
I guess 12 mo is not critical for not eating bits, but she would eat some when she was a few months younger and now she is refusing them completely. I heard stories about 2 and even 3 yo children who would still only eat mashed food and I don't want to find myself in this situation!

Any advice?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 12 mo refuses bits, only eats mashed food
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:22 am »
I would try lots of finger foods.  Some sweet fruit and veg like baked sweet potato wedges, baked apple wedges.  As she likes toast you could also try a wider variety of baked goods as finger food to expand her diet and encourage her to eat more finger foods, so sugar free muffins, pancakes, crumpets, pitta bread, crackers etc.  You could offer them for her to feed herself at meal times or at snack time, snack time might take the pressure of you both so she is a bit more free to explore with it?
If it's been just a short while then it could be linked to teething pain or drop in appetite which can be common at 1yr.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:07:40 am »
Don't worry - it's really common for them to not want to chew lumps at this age.

Usually it's because they don't yet know how to, are teething and it hurts to chew, or they are still working out what textures they like and dislike..

Keep offering a variety of foods and let her see you eating them too - sharing a plate of food together is a good way to get her interested  :)

My DS wasn't keen on lumps for a long time, but since he cut his last tooth (or during the short gaps between teething) he's been much happier to chew and eat a variety of foods.

Don't stress and don't have any expectations, just keep offering a variety of foods and she'll get there at whatever age she is ready to  :-*

FWIW my DS has only just started eating satstuma segments within the last 2 weeks and he's just turned 2.5yo - he still won't eat apple pieces so he gets that as puree!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 14:12:20 pm »
Just need to amend that last post - DS finally decided that he was going to eat apple pieces today no problem and consumed a whole apple after lunch!

We've always had huge problems with him eating, but once I relaxed about it and kept mealtimes calm and low pressure, he's been eating more, and more variety  ;D

Time to introduce some additional fruit options  :D

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:36:39 am »
It took a long time for my son to stop throwing food on the floor.  I think at this age if you're encouraging her to try and she does so occasionally, one day she'll try something and go "actually this is quite nice" in her head.  Just keep offering, keep giving her the opportunities and go with it for now I say.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:04 am »
Also- there are HEAPS of adults who don't like mixed consistencies- especially lumpy puree. So think about yoghurt with soft fruit pieces, rice pudding. There are PLENTY of people who have aversions to this. There are also PLENTY of foods that don't have this consistency- so as the PP suggest- offer those as the main thing.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!