Author Topic: Types of Bottles / Best Colic Reducing Bottles  (Read 153900 times)

Offline tfuentes00

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Types of Bottles / Best Colic Reducing Bottles
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2013, 13:41:06 pm »
Do you notice the bubbles while he's sucking in the tt?  That's good though bc that means it doesn't have much to clean.  The other two have more parts like the Dr Browns.  We may have to try it.
Tina

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2013, 03:36:05 am »
If you are having to take the Avent out of her mouth to let air in, you have tightened the ring a little too much ;)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2013, 13:22:16 pm »
I don't know??? The ring just sits on the top of the bottle and then the nipple and that ring that hold the nipple just screws on top of it.  Would screwing that nipple ring make a difference? 
Tina

Offline jozee

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2013, 15:12:59 pm »
We had horrendous belly ache last night, which sent me on a mercy dash to the local store.  I had been using avent bottles with the ring for my DD as well as the natural avent ones.  I noticed yesterday while I was feeding her that she was sucking so hard on the teat that it had collapsed.  I think this is the main reason for her bad tummy last night.  Anyway I went and got Dr Brown bottles last night and I changed her formula to Aptimil comfort.  I  have noticed a big difference in her today.  She has slept a few times today and has been less gassy.  I really liked the avent bottles but I am not sure if they took enough air out of the milk for her.  I changed the teat as well to the next one up, my DD is six weeks old, and I still don't think that the holes were big enough. She guzzles like you wouldn't believe but also gets frustrated if the milk doesn't come quickly enough, hence sucking harder and sucking in air.  Now that I have changed the formula they definately aren't big enough and I woulld have to go to the next one.  Anyway, I think it is trial and error.  That is what I have found.  We started with the tt closer to nature ones, like the dr browns, but imo they weren't very good.  The rubber diaphram at the bottom split within a week of use and i think DD got more gas using them.
If you continue using the avent ones, tighten the bottle as usual and then just move it back a notch to make sure it isn't too tight.  You need to make sure that it doesn't leak either, but as I said I think it is all trial and error. I also make sure i wind her after every 20 to 30 mls.  She protests like you would not believe but it does seem to help.  Hope this makes sense and helps in some fashion!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:59 am »
If you continue using the avent ones, tighten the bottle as usual and then just move it back a notch to make sure it isn't too tight.  You need to make sure that it doesn't leak either

This.  I found that you could easily overtighten them... they would leak if not tight enough but would leak if too tight (or DD would get mad because the milk/air balance wasn't right).

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2013, 03:06:15 am »
Yes thanks this has seemed to help, tightening and then Posen back one.  It doesnt seem to have the bubbles like before.  Thanks again
Tina

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2013, 03:07:08 am »
Great!

Offline epting57

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2014, 04:07:17 am »
I started breastfeeding and then went to bottles at about 1 week old.  as a result the advent were way too fast and she was getting really choked as well as bad stomach acnes and gas because of the flow.  We switched to Dr Browns and they work much better.  I think they are similar to what she recommends in the book.  They have a third part inside the bottle to slow down the flow and help reduce gas. 

We live in US I found that Target has them the cheapest.

I have also heard that some moms like the Platex drop ins as well.

Offline Pwestbrook

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2018, 14:45:32 pm »
I’ve used the Avent bottles since week one and have liked them - with one expectipn. The nipple flows are, in my opinion, way too fast. Baby was having terrible issues with spit up until we went down a nipple flow. He used preemie nipples (size 0) for the first month, then size 1 starting at week 6. This has helped immensely!!