Author Topic: When can you stop sterelizing bottles?  (Read 47054 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
When can you stop sterelizing bottles?
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:23:39 am »
Thats really it, at what age can you stop sterelizing your babies bottles?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: When can you stop sterelizing bottles?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:08 am »
 I never sterilized, just very hot soapy water.     :) 

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:30:42 pm »
In the book "baby's first year" I read you could stop sterilizing at 3 months. But I still did it every now and then afterwords.

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:47:04 pm »
I never sterilized, just very hot soapy water.     :) 

Same, and realistically, unless your baby has a compromised immune system it really isn't that necessary.  More so when they start crawling and pick up who knows what off the floor!!!
Heidi

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:54:32 pm »
I thought it was more to do with bacteria being able to breed more easily in warm milk..? I think the uk recs are up until 1 year for bottles :-\ I did it until about 11 months.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:58:05 pm »
It is to do with bacteria in the milk so any bottles or cups used for formula should be sterilized.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 15:59:21 pm »
I thought it was a year old, my LO 10 months and I still do it.
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 16:13:09 pm »
I think they do recommend it until a year because of bacteria.  I did it until 8 months and I am comfortable with that - I wash them in really hot soapy water and I still sterilize the nipples once or twice a week.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 16:16:07 pm »
Here is the info from the WHO guidelines. Sterlizing is to me two different things. I didn't sterilise dummies, water sippies, teethers once my LOs were putting stuff in their mouths from all over the place. No point. A good clean in hot water sufficed.

The issue is formula is not a sterile product. While the risk may be small it is a risk none the less so bottles etc used with formula should be sterilised. As far as I read the risk does not lessen with age. The recommendations are for use with formula not age groups IYSWIM as it remains unsterile regardless of age.

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/pif2007/en/index.html

3.1 Recommendations
PIF is not a sterile product and may be contaminated with pathogens that can cause serious illness. Correct preparation and handling reduces the risk of illness.
Where available, commercially sterile ready-to-feed liquid infant formula should be used for infants at greatest risk.
PIF is not a sterile product and can pose a risk to infants, particularly if it is prepared and handled inappropriately. Reconstituted PIF provides an ideal environment for the growth of harmful bacteria. Even if present in powdered formula at very low levels, inappropriate preparation and handling of feeds provides ideal conditions for the growth of harmful bacteria, which greatly increases the risk of infection. However, the risk can be reduced if feeds are prepared and handled correctly.
The recommendations below outline the best practice for the safe preparation, storage and handling of PIF in the home in order to reduce the risk of infection with E. sakazakii. These recommendations are also appropriate for reducing the risk of infection with Salmonella.
It is recommended healthcare professionals ensure that parents and caregivers are instructed in the safe preparation, storage and handling of PIF.
3.1.1 Cleaning and sterilizing feeding and preparation equipment
It is very important that all equipment used for feeding infants and for preparing feeds has been thoroughly cleaned and sterilized before use.
1. Hands should always be washed thoroughly with soap and water before cleaning and sterilizing feeding and preparation equipment (as described below).
2. Cleaning: wash feeding and preparation equipment (e.g. cups, bottles, teats and spoons) thoroughly in hot soapy water. Where feeding bottles are used, clean bottle and teat brushes should be used to scrub inside and outside of bottles and teats to ensure that all remaining feed is removed.
3. After washing the feeding and preparation equipment, rinse thoroughly in safe water.
4. Sterilizing: if using a commercial home sterilizer (e.g. electric or microwave steam sterilizer, or chemical sterilizer), follow manufacturer's instructions. Feeding and preparation equipment can also be sterilized by boiling:
a. fill a large pan with water and completely submerge all washed feeding and preparation equipment, ensuring there are no trapped air bubbles;
b. cover the pan with a lid and bring to a rolling boil, making sure the pan does not boil dry; and
c. keep the pan covered until the feeding and preparation equipment is needed.
5. Hands should be washed thoroughly with soap and water before removing feeding and preparation equipment from a sterilizer or pan. The use of sterilized kitchen tongs for handling sterilized feeding and preparation equipment is recommended.
6. To prevent recontamination, it is best to remove feeding and preparation equipment just before it is to be used. If equipment is removed from the sterilizer and not used immediately, it should be covered and stored in a clean place. Feeding bottles can be fully assembled to prevent the inside of the sterilized bottle and the inside and outside of the teat from becoming contaminated.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 19:18:24 pm »
Here it's 6 months (I think ;) )
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 19:24:19 pm »
I agree with Shiv. Em still drinks formula at 20 months old and we  still always sterilize.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:54:23 am »
I always did screaming hot soapy water and a good bottle brush to ensure that the biofilm that can form was broken down and removed.  That said, I didn't use powdered formula (I used concentrate and it is sterile).

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 06:02:48 am »
Does the same apply for cows milk?sorry for jumping in!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 06:27:03 am »
Taking out the whole baby side... if you take a fluid that can grow bacteria at room temperature (formula/milk/food) or warmer & you do "microbiology" on it & work out the CFU (colony forming units) at 10mins at Room temp there is no difference in CFU in something that is in a "sterile" container, to that in a "hot washed" but at 30mins at room temp then there is a difference & by 60mins it is a significant difference. So if a baby takes a bottle & has it at room temp for 30mins then sterilising is a good thing, but if they drink it in 10mins then probably ok to have it really well washed.

It is also important to note that lots of recommendations are made for what could be said as "lowest common denominator" so someone who really does wash up in hot water & scrubs compared to a luke warm rinse kind of wash are also factors in the recommendations.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 22:23:58 pm »
Good info Katet!  My kid always chugged her bottles in under 10 mins so we are good!